More Vasquez bright cut pictures.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Victor's health was not good when he engraved these. He had serious heart problems along with failing eye sight. Even with his poor health he could hand engrave amazingly fast. That is, when he wasn't laughing about Brian and the potato.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would have posted them sooner but I just found them yesterday and the rest today. That's how messy this shop is.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
2000ish. He made my wife a beautiful binder for a day timer. It's at the house in town or I would post a picture.

James

I really appreciate you taking the time to post some images of victor's work.The spirit of his artistry shines through, and these are probably the only publicly available images of a great western artist. thanks so much.

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The thanks goes to his wife Kathy for allowing me to look after these pieces for her.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Great Work, I always like this style of engraving.
Would love to see it on firearms.

Western bright cut was designed to be hand pushed in soft metal. Until the invention of power assisted gravers, it wasn't possible to do it in hardened gun steel. I've never heard of bright cut being done successfully with H&C. I think that a gun could be engraved with bright cut today using a power assisted graver and finished in silver or nickel plating.

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Yes, Vic built saddles. He learned from me...

Kind of a way to repay him for the time he invested in me - teaching me hand engraving and silversmithing.

Brian

Vic went on to teach Rick Ricotti (Clements, CA) how to build saddles.

He may have taught others? There was a time period where we didn't communicate much. I was down in Mexico for 7 years.

B.

Last edited:

Sponsors