More stuff

Tdavis

Here is some more stuff sdcoxx. You have to remember these guns were cut over 20 years ago and are mine and I still use them and yes, people still try to talk me out of them BUT by todays standard they are pretty rough. Begs the question " does engraving have to be perfect to be desirable "? I don't think so but a striving for better is always desirable.
I included a few lunchtime sketches I made at work last week. I spend a lot more time drawing than engraving, when I first started engraving I spent more time cutting than drawing, Mmmmm.
Thats all the stuff I have laying around but I will post when I cut my first firearm after all these years, should be interesting to see if I can still " cut it ".;-)

P.S. There's that darn pesky squirrel again, he sure gets around.
Tdavis

Last edited:

Ozgraver

They look perfect to me, in as much as the overall appearance is perfect. There may be technical imperfections in the engraving, but they don't spoil the whole.

There are so many examples of technically perfect engraving these days that they appear sterile and boring. I look at antique engraved silver and I see beautiful vibrant workmanship and even without a loupe, it's clear to see many of the cuts don't meet up, yet the effect creates a stunning light and airy form of realism.

In the snuff box (c. 1689) below, look at the tip of the beast's nose to the left of the cherub's foot as an example, the acanthus leaf to the left of the lower foot and the cherub's waist.

Again, look at the cuts in the faces of the dogs in the photo of the snuff box (c. 1699) below, and the floral work on the tongs (c. 1809) in the bottom photo.

Sometimes less is more. When I look at some examples of contemporary work, all I see is hours of work poured into lifeless pieces that look as if they were some how machine-engraved – reminiscent of architectural draughtsmanship and quite soulless.

Beauty, of course, is in the eye of the beholder!

Tdavis

Silver lover

Thanks, for posting your silver. I love studying old silver work. I have some I found in a garage sale and I will try to get a picture tomorrow.

I'm glad you see the beauty of it, the Stevens has brought me many years of enjoyment and good hunting. I do agree with you because I personally like imperfections and since I do most of my own work I am never dissatisfied. '-)
I have decided to stay with the hammer and chisel ( never used anything else ) on my upcoming projects so some imperfections are a sure thing.
Tim

Tdavis

Silver

Here is a some interesting engraving I found in a garage sale and saved. It seems to be oriental in nature and I have never seem this type of engraving on American silver. Notice the bamboo. I love the butterfly. This maker was based in Cincinnati but I picked two pieces up in Richmond Indiana.
An interesting story but sad, during the 1970's when the price of silver and gold went way up much like today I went in a buyers shop and noticed 5 gallon buckets of silverware people had sold. I asked the guy if i could look at some of them and he gave me permission and I have never seen such beautiful examples of hand engraved letters and monograms. I asked the owner if I could buy some of them and he just would not let anything go almost brought a tear to the eye knowing such fine engraving would be melted.
Tim

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors