More Scrolling Though Europe

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This time, England and Scotland:

This is just the start of a story about the trip, I hope to get a bit more written soon.

There has been a problem getting online, hence lack of contact, and now an intense work period starts, as I seek to wind up my Scottish workshop base, near Dunkeld, Scotland.

Marcus Hunt kindly invited me to visit at his workshop some 25 miles from Oxford, and I was so looking forward to seeing him there and perhaps sharing a few songs together, however, 'the best laid schemes o' mice and men gang aft a gley...', I was waylaid by flute players demanding attention to instruments, and very much regret the window closed.

Concurrently, family and visits with friends are being attempted, but the time available is very limited. My wife, Kathleen and I have had two very nice days with my brothers in Glasgow, and with them a visit to the Charles Rennie Macintosh "House for an Art Lover".

There is a pretty full photo account of Oxford, and London ( at my good friend, Robert Bigio's workshop. You will find most photos focus on architectural ornamentation rather than people, but a few human interest pictures are included. This is the link to photos, it will be the Oxford/Scotland album, when the link opens:

http://picasaweb.google.com/rodcameron2/

I write tonight from a wee village on the shores of Loch Carron, a sea loch in the Western Highlands, which empties out into the Atlantic just about half way up the east edge of the Island of Skye. The day has been fine and the sunset vivid. The mountains of Torridon are majestic, and the landscape compels me to sing Gaelic songs from my youth. I am here to see my dear old friend, Charlie Rose, whose health is failing. We will talk of earlier times, when once, roped together, we cross crevass-ed glaciers to ascend unclimbed peaks of ice and rock on Greenland's east coast.

Rod

Attachments

• angel.jpg
    angel.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Rod
Thanks for the up date on your trip,too bad you could not see Marcus. Have a great time. Take Care
Also after a careful look at the fabulous , wood carving, I think I will through away all my wood chisels and gouges ;)

Last edited:

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Rod,
A lovely series of photos, thank you for sharing what looks to be a wonderful adventure. A grand reminder of what craftsman used to make and how it is quickly being lost. I appreciate the opportunity to see these places with you, lol, sort of. Enjoy the remainder of your travels, I look forward to the tales of this journey.
Best regards,
Mark

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lucky dog Rod, your over in the old country and I am chained to me bench!!!! Please fill yer page with photos of wonderful things and places to keep me wishing to go!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Sponsors