More practice

DDriller

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
First time trying to do background removal and shading, along with a couple of borders. I figure another 5 years and I may get this down. Doesn't look too bad from about 5 feet :)
I really need to go to a class later this year.
IMG_6073.jpg

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
Some nice engraving and elements shown here.
You might improve things by using a stipple, dot or texture punch in the relieved background areas.
Also please look at pictures or castings showing the repeat borders and the various methods of treating the corner and middle sections of the long runs.
On the next display plate, please take the time to make lighter layout lines.
And also learn and take the time to burnish out any of these type of lines during the finishing.
Well done, you have a decent layout. Lets see more of your work with some improvements.

monk

Staff member
i like the border job. nice xcept for the corners. the scroll, uh, well,the leaf elements are a bit of overkill. yer cuttting seems fairly consistent. overall i'd give you a "b+". time at the bench-- you'll bee getting some a's

Artist007

Check out Sam Alfano's "Engraving Scrollwork - Start to Finish". It's a good reference video. It will show you good techniques on background removal as well, using a rotary tool. But using a rotary tool, you must be extremely careful, and I would recommend practicing first. It can get away from you and mess up a work very quickly. But it's a very efficient way to remove background.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors