More practice.

Crowman80

A bit the more practice in between getting ready to move house!! I have been told to try and master my English fine scroll & I feel my own style is developing now. Time is my enemy at the moment. !!! But looking forward to a more permenant and refined work area at the new place.
as always any pointers or advice welcomed.

Attachments

• IMG_5539.jpeg
    IMG_5539.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_5537.jpeg
    IMG_5537.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_5576.jpeg
    IMG_5576.jpeg
    148.6 KB · Views: 128

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
If I knew more about fine English scroll I would give better critique. But all I got for now is nice work! Looks good to my eye!

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Looking good but you haven’t quite got the heads if the scrolls correct. They look like “puddings“ as my dad would have said. The spine needs to continue to a round head. The best way to do this is to cut the opposite way to the double cut you’ve been doing; the action is like doing the second cut first which will give you the round head but then it leaves a little white space that needs cutting away. You’re not the only one that gets this wrong. I’ve seen it many times befor; it’s like “Well, I’ve got to the head but I don’t know how to finish so I’ll just leave it.” You can’t do that, you need to make that extra cut which sorts out the pro from the amateur. Such a small thing but it makes a HUGE difference. IMG_0462.jpeg

Last edited:

Crowman80

Looking good but you haven’t quite got the heads if the scrolls correct. They look like “puddings“ as my dad would have said. The spine needs to continue to a round head. The best way to do this is to cut the opposite way to the double cut you’ve been doing; the action is like doing the second cut first which will give you the round head but then it leaves a little white space that needs cutting away. You’re not the only one that gets this wrong. I’ve seen it many times befor; it’s like “Well, I’ve got to the head but I don’t know how to finish so I’ll just leave it.” You can’t do that, you need to make that extra cut which sorts out the pro from the amateur. Such a small thing but it makes a HUGE difference. View attachment 52715
Thank you Marcus, it’s these little things that I need to know. And unless told don’t know. I hope you approve of my efforts and can see I’m trying.
Hope all is well in chippy.

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Marcus, it’s these little things that I need to know. And unless told don’t know. I hope you approve of my efforts and can see I’m trying.
Hope all is well in chippy.
You’re doing extremely well. Just need a little fine tuning in certain areas, that’s all.

Crowman80

You’re doing extremely well. Just need a little fine tuning in certain areas, that’s all.
Thanks Marcus, that means a huge amount. & as i think you know I’m passionate about this and I want to get it right. I want to be able to do it for real one day. And that is thanks to you & your father’s inspiration in all honesty.

Crowman80

A bit the more practice in between getting ready to move house!! I have been told to try and master my English fine scroll & I feel my own style is developing now. Time is my enemy at the moment. !!! But looking forward to a more permenant and refined work area at the new place.
as always any pointers or advice welcomed.
Done.

Attachments

• IMG_5635.jpeg
    IMG_5635.jpeg
    70.1 KB · Views: 49

allan621

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
To me that looks amazing. Marcus has an incredible amount of experience and training from one of the world's great engravers. He's an expert and written an instruction manual and is who you want to point things out to you that could have been done better. But to a non-expert like me, its a wonderful piece of engraving. Congratulations.

Crowman80

To me that looks amazing. Marcus has an incredible amount of experience and training from one of the world's great engravers. He's an expert and written an instruction manual and is who you want to point things out to you that could have been done better. But to a non-expert like me, its a wonderful piece of engraving. Congratulations.
Yes Marcus has helped me a lot

Sageoconnell

Looks great to me. This post was a great read for someone like me that has really never tried this style.

I was looking to see if you implemented what Marcus was suggesting. But i can’t tell on my phone it’s to blurry when I zoom in.

Latest posts

Sponsors