More garage crafts

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The client wanted something with the flavor of "tooled leather". I suspect those of you who are accomplished leather toolers will not know whether to laugh or cry at this offering. It's a good thing you are kind people.

This is work in progress on the second side.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 455

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is the first side.

Attachments

• DSC_0090.jpg
    DSC_0090.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 457

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
I like it, Lee. The work is excellent, but moreso, the design uses negative space well and it allows the focus to be on the elegance of the design itself. It makes complexity look elegant and refined. I think your client will be more than happy with that. Kudos.
scottd.

Last edited:

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
you gave a high degree of respect to the art of leatherwork. it also is a great rendition of engraving. thanks for showing. i've always wondered why more engravers seem to avoid this design style. you shpw here that it is quite beautiful to the eye.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Second side

Attachments

• DSC_0002 - Copy.jpg
    DSC_0002 - Copy.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 415

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Splendid in every way, Lee!

Are you using one single blow with the the En-set, or repeat blows per background dot stipple? The result is very good, and your overall designs never fail.

Rod

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
It's a nice pick-me-up on a Saturday morning to read all of the comments. Thanks.

Roger, it is a Luxus Arms. I believe at least some of the ownership if not all is an offshoot of Luxus Walnut.

Mike, I haven't slept well in years. I'm sure there is a way to blame it on farming and kids.

Bigransom-I looked at the design again and realized that it is a good example of something I put in my book and DVD. For those that have them refer to the section that talks about a variety of sizes-big, medium, small. This piece has a rectangular panel for each side and two equal sized scrolls probably could have been fit in but I chose not to. I began the design with a large scroll that occupies approximately half of the space and rolled into two other scrolls to fill the rest. The bottom right of the second side is roughly the medium sized scroll and the top right is the small. The small scroll overlaps the medium and by covering up a bit it also downsizes the medium a touch pushing it a little closer to the medium category. In addition I have an overlap and also one interlocking element-the three leaves interlocking with the large scroll near the beginning. All of these -variety of sizes, overlapping, and interlocking- add a little extra interest and sophistication. A challenge with every design is to make it arresting without becoming too involved and confusing.

Rod- I used the gravermach for the beaded background. I suspect there are ways to use the enset for this application but I'm very accustomed to the gravermach for this and it works as I wish. I did use the enset for the rest-cutting and shading scroll. It's a new tool and I can't resist test driving it on new courses. I chose to stipple in the shading instead of lines thinking that on this project it might give it a bit more of the "tooled leather" look. The enset worked very well in this application. Between these two machines I have a wonderful range of speeds and possibilities. This will sound really strange to some of you but I normally run my magnum between 1200-1400 and after using the enset for a while, the magnum felt like it was going really fast, perhaps too many years on tractors and combines.

Now I am going to reveal my latest secret- a new application for milk. Milk has become the base for my smoothies, just yesterday a delightful elixir of spinach, peas, carrots, corn, beans, strawberries, bananas, and protein powder. All were frozen except the milk and banana. I think I would recommend leaving out the peas. It's a strong taste that is hard to cover up. I was doing just fine until a couple of unblended clumps landed in the third glass. To my relief it was the banana. I really dislike biting down on clumps of frozen peas or spinach. Come to think of it this may be contributing to my insomnia either by inducing too much energy or indigestion related nightmares. As a side note I have tables at both the Dallas Safari Club show and Engravers Guild show and would be delighted to sit down and dine with anyone attending. I do have a well deserved reputation for excellent taste in exquisite cuisine.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Lee,

This is truly an eye catcher and you have created something unique for sure. I always said you were unique or was that a freak. I don't remember. Seriously though this is wonderful. BTW what are you going to call this style. I was thinking it should be called Ornamental LEEther scroll.

Chris

Latest posts

Sponsors