Critique Request Monograms

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
As a goldsmith I like to become better in cutting monograms.
I found a particular style that I like very much and start practicing.
Although I am not satisfied yet, there is a little improvement I think.
But critique comments are welcome. (I know the WW is a disaster)
The size is about 15mm. x 15mm.
The first two are done with magnifier and the last two with microscope.

Last edited:

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I like where you are going here. throw in some shading at the crossover points for more definition, but overall you're looking good. I like the WW as well. The plainer W gives it a smoother feel. Keep it coming.

Birddog97

I like the look and design. Are you using a specific font or are you hand drawing the letters? Like Ed said, add some shading at the intersections for definition. Also, pay special attention to the width of your letters. The cross members on the W in the PW are not consistent. Parallel lines are hard for me to cut too.

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat:Very nice monogram-lettering, Willem! Mooi werk, :thumbsup:Proficiat! Groeten, Paulie

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you all for the kind words and Bruce for the advise of shading, and now I notice cutting is one but shading is another thing.
Man, only a few simple lines can't be that hard (that's what I was thinking) but I manage to mess it up.
So there is still a lot of practicing to do, here the example.
I tryed with a 90 degree but couldn't get it right because I felt that there is so little space.

Oh sorry, after I attached the picture I notice that there isn't much to see, instead of the picture on the computer.

Ed Westerly

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
You are working along the right lines (pun intended), but keep in mind that you are trying to mimic light and shadow, so all shadows should come from the same light source. In other words, you can't have the same amount of shadow on both sides of the undercrossing element. the side the light is coming from should have shorter, fewer, narrower,more widely spaced lines. Keep at it, it is harder than it looks!

Idaho Flint

Elite Cafe Member
I tryed with a 90 degree but couldn't get it right because I felt that there is so little space.

If you have having problems seeing it may be the end of you graver is too big. Try slow grinding down the sides and top so you get a small tip, that way all that bulk does not get in you way of seeing what you are doing.

Mike

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes Mike, you are right, I already noticed that cutting the characters with a smaller point was much easyer.
Now I will try that with shading, thank you for your advise.
Willem

Latest posts

Sponsors