Mongols invade the garage

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My mother does not care much for the company I have been keeping lately.

Attachments

• DSC_0021.jpg
    DSC_0021.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 387
  • DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 385
  • DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 384
  • DSC_0024.jpg
    DSC_0024.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 384

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Genghis Khan,

And you can, Lee!

Always a treasure to peek into that garage. Saw the Mongol traveling exhibit in Denver, and it was fabulous. You have captured the essence on the tiny canvas of a knife, congratulations!

Has to be something good about that Utah air, it is breeding great art. It cannot be just drinking milk, I drink milk, but still cannot pull King Arthur's magic sword out of the rock, I have to conclude it is because you are a darn good feller, and of good heart, despite what your mama thinks?

best

Rod

Last edited:

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Really nice work Lee. Do you have some close-ups or did you happen to make any castings of this that you would sale. I heard you purchased an En-set, is that what was used for this? If you did what do you think of it, I'm think of purchasing one also. What ever you used the artwork looks amazing.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
way cool art, lee. but i think i warned you to get out of that garage before it's too late.

aikisan

Great work Mr. Griffiths. I love it.
I know the kanji. in Japanese it is called Bu.
Bu = war. But that is not the correct translation. One of my aikido teacher once said that the meaning of the Kanji is to stop the spear and to prevent war.

regards
Jens

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat:Very Beautiful work, Lee! Nice theme and lots of coverage on that knife too:thumbsup: I don't know which technique you use to reach the contrasts/effects? Is it bulino engraving, fine cross hatch shading or 'dot' engraving like Bram wrote? Greetings, Paulie

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To all who have commented-thank you.

Bram- I do not usually use dots. You and I are both fans of line engraving. I describe myself as primarily a line engraver and sometimes the lines are so short they can appear as dots. With this particular knife I was experimenting with a new piece of equipment (Enset) and wanted to explore new techniques and possibilities. This lead to the use of shorter lines, dashes, and dots more than I normally use.

Beautiful engraving can and has been accomplished by both line and dot. Some of the Italians are very accomplished and well known for their dot technique. Equally gifted and beautiful are works with lines by the likes of Lovenberg and Strolz. Both of whom I know personally and whose work I was blessed to see in person. The type of mark (dot or line) is secondary to placing the chosen mark in the correct spot. These great artists of the graver could use either or a combination of both to create stunning pieces. Those who are taking Marty's class this week are taking a tremendous step in that direction. From what has been posted and my conversations with Marty over the years, this is a terrific class from an experienced instructor. Many would do well to take a class in art from a qualified instructor especially one familiar with engraving and the applicable principles.

Rod- I'm glad someone thinks I am a fine feller. My mother loves me and I haven't dared describe the company I keep, especially in Reno. Hanging out listening to music in the backrooms from foreigners (Scots). She may not let me go back but then again she is at that stage in life where she will forget in short order so I still have a chance. My table is booked by the way. I hope I can find something to bring.

Mike- no castings. I keep forgetting to make one. Good reminder. I recently purchased an Enset and used it almost exclusively on this project in order to push myself and explore some of it's possibilities. It is a keeper and a very nice complement to my existing system (gravemach). The Enset runs at slower speeds and for a stipple bulino is very controllable. I used three different tips varying from a fraction of a mm to about 1 mm in width. I have attached a couple of closeups but won't know whether they show much until I finish my rambling and see what actually comes up. One can lay down quite uniform rows of dashes. I started with a few lines as I normally would and then decided to go mostly dashes just to test the machine. The lines were also cut with the Enset and it works just fine for that as well.

Rod mentioned that I captured the essence of the Mongols. Thank you for the wonderful compliment. In addition to the feel of a fierce Mongol raid I wanted to capture the essence of black and white art and suggested some of the detail and didn't worry about every eye lash. I was thinking in terms of tonal areas with some of it.

Monk- I can't get out of the garage. someone slipped in unnoticed and chained me to the bench.

Aikisan- I took a chance with the kanji. The internet showed the character as Warrior in Chinese. Most of us will never know whether it is accurate or not and it does convey an oriental feel. Good luck with the Aikido. I am shodan in two disciplines and always wanted to try Aikido. I took one class and realized I am old enough that falling, even correct falling, was no longer fun and my knees were gone and I still have two teenagers to raise so I never made it back. Enjoy your journey.

If you have made it this far you are either kind enough to flatter me with your interest or you need a life.

If I think of it I will photograph some future projects as WIP or before any paint is applied. That is a much better way to see the size, shape, and direction of the cuts.

Attachments

• DSC_0015 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_0015 - Copy.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 98

g.rohrbaugh

Elite Cafe Member
Lee amazing work! Thanks for posting and answering all the questions that was thrown at you. All was very informative about the way you completed your work.
Gary

bigransom

Elite Cafe Member
Do you make the knives, Lee? Specifically, how do you control/obtain the patterns in the Damascus steel of the blade? The work is exceptional, but I think the detail in those blades really sets them apart!