Mokume gane

JayCanale

Daniel,
Being in jewelry for the past 25years I am amazed at what I can still learn. Your tutorial is fantastic! I look forward to seeing the completed piece if you will indulge.
I once wrote out the steps to making a hand forged bangle bracelet and just a few weeks ago I had to make matching bands. No casting here, just straight hand work. Here are the links to the bracelet pics.
As soon as I can get some engraving equipment I will make the same and engrave them.

Hope you enjoy,

Jay

http://www.jaycanale.com/BraceletPics
http://www.jaycanale.com/RingPics

Andrew Biggs

Hi Daniel

Thanks for doing this tutorial. 10 out of 10

It never ceases to amze me just how clever some people are when it comes to this sort of thing. All the interesting ways people make and do things...............just fantastic thank you.

Cheers
Andrew

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you all for your compliments :)
Thank Dmitry too! Hope it lives up to your expectations Dmitry.

I do think Dan can give a much better tutorial on how to do this since he has done it a lot more.

Joe,
The etchin was just to get some silver away so Salpeter acid did the trick.
I would have loved to reduce the redgold a bit as well but it did not seem to be affected. Using a stronger acid would probably take a lot of silver away wich would not be good.
Also the yellow next to the red gold did not give as much contrast as I would have thougt. White in the midle should give a better contrast.

Jay,
I love your forged bracelet! And ring too.
I did something wrong whilst making the translation and to show the finished rings it would take me a lot of time to regain the links to the foto's wich at the moment I don't have. If you follow the link in my last post of the tut you will get the pictures but only with a comment in Dutch.

Andrew,
I really admire your work and it is an honour for me to get a 10 from you! Especially for a tutorial not envolving engraving at all. Allthough that might explain it as well.

There are some nice tutorial video's going around the internet these days.
On on mokume from a german company and they make the ring out of one piece so no soldering is envolved.
I wil have a look and see if I can post them to reduce my method to a minimum:eek:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors