Microscope Question

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
I just picked up a microscope and I have zero prior experience with microscopes and I am having some trouble getting rid of the double image. I have played with the pupilary rings and the dioptor adjustment and just about every other knob on this thing and just can't seem to get rid of the double images. I have checked the individual eyepieces to make sure they are the same magnification. Help! I am lost and frustrated!

jldj

eyeshields

Some cheap eye shields off ebay made a big difference in how well I could see and focus on mine. They were only 10 bucks with free shipping from Precision World. And Hey! - I've seen your work - you don't even need that thing! - lol - think your gonna love it. gl Jack

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I think Mario is probably right about the problem.

I assume you've adjusted the eyepieces. If you haven't, it's pretty easy.

Scribe a + on a plate and center it under the scope. Cover one eyepiece (don't close your eye, cover it). Make sure the other eyepiece is set at it's zero mark and focus on the + using the focus knob. Zoom in all the way so the focus is as touchy as possible.

Once you've got the first eye focused, switch which eye is covered and adjust the other eyepiece. But don't touch the focus knob. Use the adjustment of the eyepiece. There's a little screw on the ring you can loosen so you can reset the zero mark to what's right for you (in case other people use / adjust your scope).

There's a thread here somewhere with all of this info and more.

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks guys, it looks like this is where the problem is. I messed with it all day yesterday, but without any kind of methodology, just stabbing in the dark. I don't know why I still jump in half-a**ed like that, I re-learn that lesson every single time. Thanks for the tip on setting up the microscope Steve, now I have a little bit of a system to guide me. I will also look into better eyepiece shields, I do think these that came with the scope could be better.

filbertius

Elite Cafe Member
I am enjoying following this because I have wondered if I would have double-image problems with a microscope, but never really had a chance to see if I could make one work for me.

In addition to being nearsighted, my eyes also tend to prefer pointing in slightly different directions, which is corrected with "prisms" in my prescription lens. If I could use the microscope with my glasses on I might be alright. If I had to use without my glasses I imagine the microscope would need a whole lot of adjusting (and don't know if that part can even be adjusted...).

Gary

ARM

Elite Cafe Member
Have you ever been taught how to focus a microscope??? There is a set procedure.
JERRY
We are all learning, albeit belated.
Is there a thread posted here on the Cafe which You may be able to specifically refer us to ???
Would appreciate Your kind assistance.
Thanks and kindest regards
aRM

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Chapi: What kind of scope is it?

Microscope setup procedure:

Set eyepieces at ZERO.
Zoom scope all the way in.
Focus scope with focusing knob (not eyepieces).
Zoom scope all the way out.
Tweak eyepiece focus if needed.

This procedure sets the scope so it remains in focus when zooming in and out.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
filbertius

I use my scope with my glasses - I have enough astigmatism I have to.

You lose a bit of field of view because your eye is further back but there are eyepieces made for that.

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for all the great input on my problem guys! I have gone through the setup procedure a few times now but I'm still not having any luck. JLDJ mentioned better eye shields might help so I've got those on the way, and I have a couple of new tricks to try. Filbertius, what is this condition called where your eyes point in slightly different directions? This is the first real microscope that I have looked through-wouldn't that be a kick in the butt if it turns out the faulty part is my eyes? I don't think I would trust a new pair of eyes from Ebay. Besides, I have pretty good vision, I'd hate to have to figure out how to setup a new set of peepers.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Chapi

I hate to say this............but it could be the scope. Is it new or second hand???

My old microscope..........one day I was zooming in and out and heard a slight clunck. Instant double vision. So I pulled it apart and one of the internal bits had worked loose and come off. It was an easy fix, or so I thought...........I ended up spending a whole day recalibrating the damn thing and even then I never got it right so I had to send it back to the scope people for recalibration.

I'm not saying that is your problem..........but it is a possibility.

Try getting someone else, wife, partner, kids, friend to look through it before you think that it is your vision that's the problem. It could be the scope!!

Here is the link to the GRS Meiji microscope. They are all pretty much the same when it comes to setting them up..........have a look and see if that is of any help.

Cheers
Andrew

Chapi

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Andrew, I am coming to the conclusion that it might just be broke. Its a new scope, and the manufacturer offers a good warranty so if the eye shields don't do the trick, then I will contact the seller and go from there. This morning I was moments away from opening it up and trying to fix it myself, but I have gone through that mess enough times before, and just hearing that you had problems with it, and knowing that you must be more meticulous than I am just based on your detail work, I'm glad I didn't crack it open and possibly void the warranty and loose some parts at the same time. Thanks for the input, I will hide the jeweler's screwdrivers.

Andrew Biggs

Hi Chappie

Good call!!..........Mine was out of warrenty when it went "clunk"

It looks simple enough when you open it up..........but you have to know what you are doing otherwise it turns into a fiddly mission from hell. Plus you have to have the right tools or you can start messing things up big time and even scratch internal lenses.

If it is the scope ............then definatley send it back under warrenty.

Cheers
Andrew

Latest posts

Sponsors