Microscope mounted Super-Lite--800 candle power

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Several years back I bought a Meiji EMZ 8TR microscope because of its extra long working distance. However, I needed to have a boom to mount the scope upon as well as a light ring that emitted a lots of light.

I built both to suit my needs. The Super-Lite uses a 6.5 inch fluorescent ring and puts out 800 candle power of light. I have attached some photos for you in case you wish to build one for yourself. Even with such a large light and cover there remains a great deal of work distance, and because of that distance no heat to my hands.

Attachments

• Engr bench 1.jpg
    Engr bench 1.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 248
  • Engr Super-Lite1.jpg
    Engr Super-Lite1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 248
  • Engr Super-Lite2.jpg
    Engr Super-Lite2.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Todd;

Here are some photos of the vice stand for you. It is made from a Lowe's grinder stand, a threaded 1 1/4" bar, a utility trailer axle hub, and the top plate is a 9 1/2 inch diameter lathe face plate bolted to the axle hub.

The red dot in the center of the turn table spindle is a ceiling mounted laser that is mounted in a plastic block and has adjustment screws to keep it "plumb bob" straight from ceiling to center witness mark of spindle.

Attachments

• Engr turntable stand4.jpg
    Engr turntable stand4.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 237
  • Engr turntable stand1.jpg
    Engr turntable stand1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 235
  • Engr turntable stand2.jpg
    Engr turntable stand2.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 233
  • Engr turntable stand3.jpg
    Engr turntable stand3.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

Ron Spokovich

Elite Cafe Member
Next door, amongst future projects setting around for years, is pretty much the same set up you show. Excepting, it was mounted in one of those cake pans, and not a parabolic reflector. Originally, it was to be used for photographic, close up purposes, but got put by the wayside. Also, I DO NOT like cool white lamps, and prefer 'daylight' or 'warm white' lamps for extended use. The kind of light that women's mirrors used to have, to simulate a natural lighting environment, and, less headaches. Looks like I'll have to go next door and get the project assembly out of mothballs. Yours looks like a neat set up, though.

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Next door, amongst future projects setting around for years, is pretty much the same set up you show. Excepting, it was mounted in one of those cake pans, and not a parabolic reflector. Originally, it was to be used for photographic, close up purposes, but got put by the wayside. Also, I DO NOT like cool white lamps, and prefer 'daylight' or 'warm white' lamps for extended use. The kind of light that women's mirrors used to have, to simulate a natural lighting environment, and, less headaches. Looks like I'll have to go next door and get the project assembly out of mothballs. Yours looks like a neat set up, though.

My parabolic reflector was cut from the bottom of a $5.00 Walmart kitchen mixing bowl.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That's really interesting. Since I use a 0.4x objective on my Zeiss scope, the working distance is around 8" and my fluorescent light doesn't have enough power at that distance, so I switched to LED which I'm never 100% happy with. The size of this looks like it might be in the way though. Do you have an issues with that?

highveldt

Elite Cafe Member
Sam;

I do not have problems with distance and reduced light intensity as a result.

As you and others can see the top of the Super-Lite is made from a plastic plumbing pipe fitting that fits over the outer diameter area of the microscope bottom lens extension. It is retained in place with two 1/4" plastic screws that are tightened finger tight. When the microscope is turned the pipe fitting turns with it and the parabolic reflector remains stationary keeping the light focus and position always in the same position. The distance from the bottom of the reflector rim to the work is 5 1/2 inches with my scope.

The Super-Lite is supplied power from a old 20 year old junked fluorescent lamp "electronics" that was originally an energy saving product that was sold to replace the then standard 100 watt incandescent "light bulb" for table lamps.

The elongated 3/16" wide hole is for inserting a small screwdriver to tighten the 3 tiny brass woodscrews that retain the reflector to the plastic pipe fitting. As you can see these screws are arranged where they do not bind the plastic pipe fitting from turning without the reflector also moving.

The top to bottom depth of the reflector is 2". I recommend you find something to use as a reflector that will only have a depth of 1" to 1 1/4" if you do not have as long a working distance as the Meiji 8 microscope.

I will take the light apart and make photos and post them for those of you who want to make your own Super-Lite.

Attachments

• Engr Super-Lite5.jpg
    Engr Super-Lite5.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Engr Super-Lite4.jpg
    Engr Super-Lite4.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'll toss in that a lot of the newer LED bulbs are daylight balanced and their getting the power levels up. IKEA had a two-for-one sale a while back and we stocked up. We were especially happy because they finally had the 100 watt equivalent bulbs back in stock.

It's not quite right, but knocking a zero off of the lumen rating will get you close enough for government work on the watt equivalence of an LED bulb, at least if they're of similar size. I'm betting a 1,000 lumen LED ring light would be more like a 75 watt incandenscent than 100 watt. I'm also betting that Brian would be right about needing shades on your scope if you used one.

Latest posts

Sponsors