Microscope confusion

adammichael

I am looking for a scope on ebay and the more I look the more confused I am. I looked at the article on what to buy and what to avoid, very helpful but....
I saw a very nice B&L on a boom for $300 and it looks like a great deal but theres 12 hours left and no one has bid on it yet. Am I missing something? Is there something wrong with it. How do I know what will be good for engraving and what wont be good?

What do I need for a working height? Is 3" enough?
I know this is alot of questions but Im already getting friustrated and I havent even turned on the engraver yet. (im still waiting for the oil filter to get here)
ANY help at all on what to buy used would be appreciated.

Thanks for listen to me vent.

Michael
www.adammichaelknives.com

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Michael: The standard working distance for an engraver's microscope is 6". I advise you to avoid anything less than that as you won't have enough working distance between your work and the scope. It's possible that the B&L you're looking at could have a 0.5x objective added which will increase the working distance and decrease the scope's power by 50%. This is pretty much a standard configuration for engravers.

Only the seller can answer the question if there's anything wrong with the scope.

Personally, I would put that $300 toward a Meiji scope. You'll have a premium microscope that will last you a lifetime and you won't be stressing out about buying the wrong scope with the wrong working distance or taking a chance on buying something that has focusing issues. Microscopes are complex devices. Get the right one and be done with it. / ~Sam

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Michael, One thing about scopes is that when you need them, you need them. If you are doing a project that requires a scope you will be looking through it almost the entire time. If it keeps wandering out of focus or the edges are blurry, etc. you are not going to be very happy in quick order.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
when you buy a scope be sure it is a " stereo zoom". it should also have a .5 objective lens with it. this is in the event you buy a used one. the .5 lens gives you the "working distance" sam mentioned. if you buy used, be certain they allow returns if you're not satisfied.
i bought a used "scienscope" brand, and am totally happy with it. just read the printed info carefully, and don't be in a hurry.

rocketpilot

the b&o scopes have the zoom knob on top in the back which is a little unhandy in my opinion. the image is not as clear around the edges as the better brand name Japanese and german scopes. you get what you pay for in a stereo scope. i have a couple of Japanese scopes for sale. if you are interested please contact me at:
craig@golfinstruments.com
i hope you are planning to buy an acrobat stand from grs. they are supper good quality and excellent design.
i make adapter rings to fit the standard 76mm diameter scope mount (most newer scopes have this diameter mount) to the acrobat stand. i can also custom make any other ring diameter necessary to fit the acrobat stand.
cheers
craig

Sam

Staff member
you get what you pay for in a stereo scope.

Absolutely. I never did like the old B&L scopes, but didn't use one long enough to formulate a detailed opinion as to why I didn't like them. The zoom knob on the top is definately a deal-breaker for me, even if the scope was as good as a Meiji.

adammichael

Thanks for all the great info. One thing I noticed about Meiji scopes is there are an awful lot of them for sale on EBAY that are for parts only. Why do you think that is? Meiji are good scopes, right?

Sam

Staff member
Meiji scopes are absolutely excellent scopes. There are a lot of them out there because many (most?) are used in the technology field for chip inspection, assembly, etc. One important aspect of Meiji is that they are made in Japan and not China, and have bright, excellent optics (unlike Chinese microscopes). They only thing better that I'm aware of that's suitable for engraving is Zeiss, and they are 3-4 times the cost of Meijji (and worth it if you can afford it).

Latest posts

Sponsors