Question: Microscope camera for video

jb1983

Elite Cafe Member
Hello I am looking to get a camera for my Meiji microscope end of this year. Looking for input on what to put my $$ into. I am just looking to recorder my bead work and other types of stone setting. I mite do some Youtube videos. I have seen them on ebay for 300 new and I have seen others for 1,000 + Looking for input on software to. I am not tech savvy, so I hope it's straight fowerd process to record my work :]

Thanks for the info
Jake

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
The "normal" microscope camera setup is a CCD camera which does not record. It's only a camera. You have to output to a recorder if you use this kind of system. If you can adapt a camcorder to your Meiji scope then you can record to the camcorder, take it to your computer, edit the video, and upload, etc. I don't use Meiji tirnocular scopes so I don't know how to adapt a camcorder to one. You should contact Meiji if someone here doesn't know what's involved. I assume you have a trinocular microscope, right? If not, the GRS sells a camera adapter mount for their Acrobat stand for mounting CCD cameras on the side for non-trinocular scopes.

As for it being a straight forward process, I would say that if you can edit video from a camcorder then you're half way there. If not, then be prepared for a learning curve. It's great fun and there are excellent softwares which streamline the process. Mac's iMovie is great for simple projects. I'm sure there's an equivalent for Windows users.

jb1983

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks Sam I have the same Microscope/stand that I used @ GRS. The Editing part I will have to learn but I do have a Mac/pc. Looks like I will need to get a Recorder as well for the video. I am not looking to talk on the video. It dose look like a fun thing to get into.

krisf

look into the dino-lite pro, i have one that was appx600 and came with some great software. ive set it up so i can clip it to my scope off to the side.i am able to hit record and burn the video to dvd.

Sponsors