Micro script

Dan W

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sam,
This reminds me of a watchmaker’s story. When it comes to quality and miniaturization, American and Swiss watchmakers are always in competition with each other . At one of the major conferences the Americans presented the Swiss with a plaque that had two posts mounted on its face covered with a glass dome. The Swiss were, as always, courteous and accepted the plaque graciously. They then asked what it represented. The Americans instructed the Swiss to remove the glass cover and look closely at the posts. Upon inspecting the plaque under magnification they discovered that there was a wire strung between the posts that was so fine that it could only be seen with the aid of magnification!
One year later at the same conference. The Swiss returned with the same plaque and presented it to the Americans. They of course accepted the plaque and then asked why the Swiss were returning it.
The Swiss gave the Americans the same instructions that they were given a year earlier. To the Americans surprise they discovered that the Swiss had taken that nearly invisible wire and managed to drill a hole thru it.
Just how small can engraving go!
Dan

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Sam,
This reminds me of a watchmaker’s story. When it comes to quality and miniaturization, American and Swiss watchmakers are always in competition with each other . At one of the major conferences the Americans presented the Swiss with a plaque that had two posts mounted on its face covered with a glass dome. The Swiss were, as always, courteous and accepted the plaque graciously. They then asked what it represented. The Americans instructed the Swiss to remove the glass cover and look closely at the posts. Upon inspecting the plaque under magnification they discovered that there was a wire strung between the posts that was so fine that it could only be seen with the aid of magnification!
One year later at the same conference. The Swiss returned with the same plaque and presented it to the Americans. They of course accepted the plaque and then asked why the Swiss were returning it.
The Swiss gave the Americans the same instructions that they were given a year earlier. To the Americans surprise they discovered that the Swiss had taken that nearly invisible wire and managed to drill a hole thru it.
Just how small can engraving go!
Dan

I have read the same story before, but in the versions I have seen it was the Americans who drilled the wire. And the wire was the same diameter throughout its length.

phil

Elite Cafe Member
;)I've heard about this too. In my version I heard a Chinese man could be seen walking the wire like a tightrope. I believe he was juggling engraving vises too.

Latest posts

Sponsors