Memorial Day

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Have a safe & enjoyable Memorial Day with family & friends!

Last edited:

Red Green

Elite Cafe Member
I do hope it is indeed a safe day for everyone, however the American Memorial Day is not meant for happiness but reflection into the loss of the past.

Bob

Thank you for editing your post J.J. I know you meant well and had no disrespect, I just wanted those who have lost their loved ones not to be disheartened.

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Unfortunately we Americans turned a day of respect, gratitude and mourning for our fallen warriors into a commercial "holiday." I don't believe it was ever meant to be that way. I certainly don't consider it a holiday. To me it's a day to reflect upon all the wonderful things, and freedoms I enjoy in this country; paid for by those who sacrificed so much and continue that sacrifice this very day.

Tomorrow, Memorial day, I'll spend remembering, reflecting and thanking those who made my little world safe and happy; those who fought to make other parts of the world safe and free. I am greatful, I remember.

These words say it best...

O thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation.
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the Heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave

jr hoot gibson

Elite Cafe Member
Crazy Horse:
Good words, brother. Thank you for your service and welcome home. For those who don't know, the avitar is the First Air Cav patch and Combat Medic badge. He did not buy those in a surplus store!!
Hoot Gibson RVN 67-68.

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
My father joined in 1940, became a '90 day wonder' (he hated that phrase). He went through pilot/bombadier/navigator training and was the only member of his class to survive the war. Good for me! Served 26 years as an active duty reservist, retiring in 1966 as a Lt. Col. I remember him with great love, admiration for his dedication and thanks for his service. He has been gone for 10 years, and I still miss him.

Andrew Biggs

Yes, we need to remember and give our thanks for what we have................and at what cost.

It is a day for remembrance and reflection.

Our memorial day down here in New Zealand/Australia is called ANZAC day and it's great to see the younger ones and kids attending the services.

Cheers
Andrew

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My brother has served in both the Army and Navy (still in Navy reserves). My father was injured at the Battle of the Bulge and is buried at Arlington National. Yup- freedom has cost...
Thanks to all who serve!

gene shultz

This morning I turned on the TV to get the morning news, and found not one thing about Memorial Day. To me this is a day of remembering, and showing respect for those who served, and those still serving. Thanks to all Veterans, and we must remember "Freedom is not Free."

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
To me this is a day of remembering, and showing respect for those who served, and those still serving. Thanks to all Veterans,

We have 3 days set aside for our military. Let's not confuse their intent as many do today.

Memorial Day is reserved for remembering those who paid the ultimate sacrifice.
Veteran's Day is for honoring those who served.
Armed Forces Day is for honoring those who currently serve.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
The veterans I worked with in the printing trade who served in WW2 were a big help,taking me and teaching me a trade that lasted 42 years,I feel blessed to have known and worked with those men.The new media has a short memory,luckly we do have some news people who keep us informed with the truth.J.J.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
On this day I reflect on those of my old unit who lost their lives in Vietnam and the war veterans who I have known over the years (especially engravers like Frank Hendricks and Jack Prudhomme) who are no longer with us. I also think of my father who fought in Europe in the Great War, 1917-1918 and barely escaped death after being bayoneted in the trenches.

Roger
RVN 1965-1966

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Today is the day to take a moment and think about those brave souls who gave all they had for the freedoms most take for granted today. Liberty is so important that some are willing to bleed to insure the rest retain that liberty. It is not important how we celebrate this day. What is important, that we respect their sacrifice.

Sandy
RVN 1965-1966, 1968-1969

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
Our current ferrdoms are due to those who stood up to those who sought to repress them. I am a vet, and love working with and for veterans. One current projec is ordered by a vietnam vet for a WWII vet. Ive seen this mans DD-214 and all i can say is WOW. This country will never see the likes of those who answered the call back then. Im glad there are still some alive that i can thank im person.

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
My parents will turn 95 in November, still alive and well after serving from shortly after Pearl Harbor attack to shortly after VJ day. They and their contemporaries truly were the Greatest Generation.

But for their sacrifices, I would probably be more fluent in German than I am now.

Latest posts

Sponsors