Question: Meiji scope protection

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
Hi,another question, someday I might be able to give rather than ask.:tiphat:

I use a Meiji 5 scope for engraving and would like to use it with a 400,000 rpm rotary tool for basic background removal.

I am worried about the lens on the scope being affected by the tiny chips thrown off by the rotary tool and so far have been using an Optivisor for this work.

I have searched the web and could not find a protective cover lens for the scope, like one a person would use on a camera to protect the lens.

So is there a clear protective cap lens out there?:thinking:

Or has this problen been solved in a way I haven't thought of ?:thinking:

Or better yet is there no problen with the whole scope rotary tool use?

Thanks again scott99 :tiphat:

oiseau metal arts

Elite Cafe Member
possably one of the screw on filters for camera lenses. just check the size you need to fit the scope.

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
meiji scope

Thanks but the .5 lens on the scope does not seem to have any threads except for the ones that mount it to the scope.:tiphat:

Thanks scott99 :tiphat:

Andrew Biggs

Hi Scott

Don't worry about it. I've ground, polished, cut and hammered under the Meiji and it doesn't make any difference to the lens. I think I may have cleaned it once in the several years I've owned it.

Cheers
Andrew

Beathard

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I use my rotary under it all the time for deep relief on guns. I haven't had a problem yet. The stuff that comes off is very very line.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
to be safe, not sorry-- i use a thin, very flexible piece of clear plastic wrap. i place it over the lens housing and secure it with a rubber band. pull the plastic tight till wrinkle free. does not cause enough image degradation to affect what you're doing.

scott99

Elite Cafe Member
I want to thank all for their answers to my question. :clapping:

I have 2 people telling me not to worry about it (that makes me feel safer) and one person that uses plastic film to cover his scope (that makes me see that others are over protective of their stuff like me). :tiphat:

Since I am one of those people that wipes everything off after I use it (old habits die hard) I will give the plastic wrap a go.

Thankyou all, have a good day.:happyvise:

scott99

James Roettger

Elite Cafe Member
If you are using the .5 lens on the bottom I wouldn't worry about that. In fact that is probably the best lens protector you can use. If and when it becomes degraded just replace it for about $80. In fact I have an extra one in new condition I would sell for $45 plus shipping. I don't use those .5 lenses because they distort the clarity of the scope too much.

Latest posts

Sponsors