Meiji Question

Mike C

I was fortunate enough to pick up a Meiji EMZ 5 on E-bay very reasonably. It comes with 12.5 eyepieces. While I realize the the recommended setup is 10X eyepieces with a .5 objective lens, my question is could I use a .44 objective lens and the 12.5 eyepieces? The magnification range changes from 3.5X-22.5 to 3.85X-24.75X, that I wouldn't think would be a big deal. My main concern is the change in the working distance from 148mm to 171mm, an increase of a little less than 1 inch.

I bought it right so the cost of both eyepieces and a new objective lens wouldn't be prohibitive but if I wouldn't have to pony up for new eyepieces so much the better.

Question 2 what do you recommend for a microscope light, florescent or the new LED light?

Question 3 The Acrobat or original microscope stand?

I might add I'm a jeweler not a firearms engraver.

Thank you for any input you might have.

Mike

Last edited:

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mike,
I can't give you a good answer on question #1. I'm not all that familiar with the objective lenses. My guess would be go with a .5 however. I know that it is a good working distance for me. The little added power on the low end might be too much though. You would have 4.375 instead of 3.5. I do know I like to use the 3.5 a lot.
As far as #2. I like a florescent ring light but that is my personal preference. The LED can cast spots. Some like it however.
#3. Acrobat for me all the way. I had a couple of others and wouldn't go back.
Hope that helps.
Rex

Tom Curran

Elite Cafe Member
If your workpiece surface is always the same height, you may not need the Acrobat.

Acrobat is the way to go for flexibility. Firearms engraving is difficult because the workpieces vary in size so much, that the Acrobat is essential for that kind of work. If you are doing copperplate engraving, where the engraving surface is always the same height, a simple boom might be just fine.

Tom

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
my question is could I use a .44 objective lens and the 12.5 eyepieces?
to my knowledge, Meiji does not make a .44 for the EM series scopes. Personally I would just use the .5 lense. There is not that much difference between 12.5 and 10 for your application. Actually since you are doing jewelry, you may be happier with the 12.5 rather than 10s. And you should try it like it is without the obejctive. Some engravers myself included, find it easier to use a scope withought the objective lense, but this will somewhat depend on the work you are doing. Small work, like jewelry would be, would be fine for this

Question 2 what do you recommend for a microscope light, florescent or the new LED light?
fiberoptic wand, not ring light. I think ring lights are very annoying when trying to work under them with various tools. They are fine if all you do is engrave. For sure stay away from LEDs, as you will get bright spots

Question 3 The Acrobat or original microscope stand?
the orginal stand is more than fine if all you are doing regularly is the same rough size. Again thinking jewelry, you fall into this category

I might add I'm a jeweler not a firearms engraver.

Thank you for any input you might have.

Mike[/QUOTE]

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Either I completely missed the jeweler part in the original question or it was added later...
Anyhow, either stand would work for you. If you have the original already fine but if you price out both with the headrest, I think they are similar in price. That being said I think the Acrobat is more versatile.

Last edited:

Mike C

Scott

According to the Meiji site they do offer a .44X objective. That was where I went for my initial info as to zoom range and working differences.

Also my post was some what misleading in my question about mounts. The unit I bought has a rigid arm stand which will not be suitable for engraving. By original I meant the stand GRS refers to as original. I can only guess it was the predecessor to the Arobat.

Either I completely missed the jeweler part in the original question or it was added later...

Rex I added it after your reply since I could see it might make a difference in the answers I got. Thank you all for your replies to date, keep them coming.

Mike

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Scott could you please give me some more information on your light set up. I remember the halogen lights but they were hot. Where are these others available from, oh and do I need to be a world class globe trotting engraver to afford them. Good to hear from you again.
Eric

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hi Mike.
My 2 cents, go for the ring light.
If you do decide to buy eyepieces make sure to get WF (wide field)
Nice to have a bigger field of view.
Just my thoughts.
John B.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Acrobat stands have a very small footprint compared to the old GRS boom stand.

rhenrichs

Elite Cafe Member
I am using a .44 reduction lense on my Meiji EMZ with 10x eye peices. Ordered the scope new with that set up. You get a little more work space with the .44 lense. For some fine work I occasionally have it on the peg on the high end.

Roger

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Scott could you please give me some more information on your light set up.

Fiber optic set ups can be bought used on ebay in the $200-400 range. new they are about 600+. You need to get a wand for the light, not a ring light. There is nothing like them for engraving. You can position the light angle exactly where you want, so no matter what angle you tilt your block at you can still make the light where you want it. They also have an intensity control, so you can dial down the light if you are working on a highly polished object that is creating glare back through the scope. Or you can dial the light up if working on a dark surface such as a blued gun. With the wand, all the fan noise and heat are up away from you so that you don;t notice them. And the wand is convenient if you need light somewhere else in your shop or drop something in a corner, you just grab the wand and bend it to point whereever you need it.

Eric, you coming to the Engrave-In this year?

Mike C

Scott

Here are a couple of item numbers for fiber optic lighting that I found on E-bay.

If you would have a minute could I prevail on you to take a look and give me any thoughts you might have on them. Are these suitable?

Thank you for your input.

Mike

Sponsors