Mars & Minerva coin carving

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi guys, here's a nickel I finished yesterday and I was really pleased with the way it turned out. In fact, I'd probably go as far as saying, it's my best effort yet!

It depicts Mars (the god of war) and Minerva (goddess of wisdom) and is based on the cap badge of the Artists Rifles. They were formed back in 1860, when Napoleon III of France threatened to invade Britain, by painters, sculptors, engravers, actors, etc. Latterly they became one of Britain's special forces 21 SAS (Artists) , and in turn gave birth to the British Army's 22 SAS the modern Regular special forces. Not bad for a Corps which when formed had the Pre-Raphaelite Brethren, amongst others, in their ranks.

I've decided to give the vast majority of the proceeds of this sale to "Help For Heros", a charity which supports the wounded service personnel from the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Unfortunately, my photography doesn't do this coin justice. Sorry.

Attachments

• marsminerva4.jpg
    marsminerva4.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 269

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm sure the gods would be proud! I like the way you tucked the wheat chaff border around the date. That looks tricky. Not that cutting one profile on top of another was'nt tricky.

eastslope

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Excellent work with a good story, and for an important cause. Very nice! Thanks for sharing, Seth :thumbs up:

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm certain they're going to be very pleased with your generous donation - that lovely bit of work should sell high.

Looks to me like yet another person is getting sucked into the addiction of coin carving. ;)

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus
You are raising the bar way up the more you carve coins, a super nice coin carving and I think you,ll be rewarded many times over for the donation ..

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
What a beauty once again Marcus, seems an actual issue to cut some coins after Martin just posted one. I recognise the Minerva, as it was the brand of one of the best cars ever made, and a Belgium one. It was a bit similar to the Rolls Royce and had a similar coins on its radiator.
Thanks for showing this.
Here are some pictures of the Minerva vehicles.

arnaud

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's a good looking coin. Very hard to do two face the opposite way.

You know there are laws in the U.S. that forbids people in other countries to carve american currency. It states that only american citizens are to be aloud to change or disrupt any american coinage.

Last edited:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for your kind comments guys. I love doing these nickels but they do become somewhat addictive.

art65ab, a hippy 'peace sign', eh? When originally commissioned, Mars and Minerva were chosen to represent War and Fine Arts. Sometimes war has to be fought for the greater good (as with fighting the Taliban and El Qida). Although not a fan of the war in Iraq it still happened and those young men who were badly injured were ordered there to do a job by our governments. And it's these guy's who need our support as it's their bravery that protects our liberty. A peace sign might just be seen as an insult to this.

Mike Bissell

Elite Cafe Member
Marcus as a veteran of the Vietnam war I have to commend you on this effort to help those veterans that gave a portion of their life, both body and soul, so that we can maintain our freedoms.

Thank you
Mike

Latest posts

Sponsors