Market Fair event

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Hi folks, I thought I'd post the 18th century Market Fair at Fort Frederick State Park outside of Big Pool, MD the 24th - 27th of April, yeah right around the corner. There are quite a few excellent craftsmen and engravers that attend this event and a few, like myself, that sometimes demonstrate their craft, outside under tentage of the time period. If any of the forum members happen attend, please look me up.
Big Pool/Ft. Frederick is approximately 20 miles west of Hagerstown,MD. off of route 70
Fare well,
Mark Thomas
"Craftsman to the Past"
www.MarkThomas-graver.com

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mark,

When you demonstrate at an 18th century event what tools do you use? In particular, what do you use to hold the item being engraved without using a modern vise of any type? I have a friend who is a Rev War reinactor who wanted to learn engraving but he is such a "stitch counter" that he would not entertain using a ball vise though I think the design is pretty old. I have seen the picture of Paul Revere engraving a tea pot (see photo gallery-historic engravers) where he was using a leather pad to steady the work but I don't think that would work well for everything. I know that gravers, chisels and hammers go back centuries but the work holder is what I am not sure of.

Thanks,

Roger

Last edited:

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
Roger,
I use a bench I built from a friend's design that has tapered socket legs (quite tall, 2" sq. ash or hickory) and a 2 1/2" thick by about 36" curly maple top. I made a wooden vise w/wooden screw and filler blocks to give a reinforced grip when holding a longrifle. The moveable jaw has a wooden guide rod, the filler blocks fit below the guide rod and allows a slight wedge effect at the vise jaws so the grip is at the contact point instead of on the rod/screw. I use leather to cushion the grip point and have wooden swing/detachable arms to lay the rifle across. I also use my engravers ball with pins or pitch blocks and explain to the curious that the vise design is similar to one pictured in Diderot's Encyclopedia the top moves to facilitate the work. OK I cheat just a little, I also say that the original design would not have been mat chromed, but our investment today must overcome the historical impact. If you're wondering......well no I don't use pneumatics, I'm still a hammer/chisel and push guy.
Demonstrating in public is one thing but uneven ground, wind, cold and poor light can make it challenging at best. My belief is that people need to be educated of the art and techniques of yesteryear, be it carving , engraving, or chase/repousee', but I generally stick to engraving. A fellow only needs to pay attention to one set of tools rusting as you look at them.
I hope this helps, drop me a note if you want further info. Have you ever been to the CLA show in Lexington in August? You and some of the others may enjoy that venue, I'll post more about that later for those interested.
Mark

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Roger...Try not to miss this event in August in Lexington. You will have to opportunity to meet Mark and get to see his marvelous work. He is quite a craftsman. Keep up the good work Mark.

mtgraver

Elite Cafe Member
I thought I'd try to show the only pic of my workbench, yes,........hard at work. The rains had finally stopped, didn't have any work at the time and had talked too much, time for a breather. If nothing else the bench makes a great leaning post!
Mark

Latest posts

Sponsors