Making my own gravers

DocBernard

Wanted to see if anyone else is using S7 tool steel for their hand made graver tips. Going to give it a try after I heat treat and temper them. I will admit, I am a tinkerer and if I can make something versus buying it, I like doing it and finding ways to do it.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
i am a tinkerboy as well. i've made a few gravers that functioned well. most were made of, "high carbon" steel. never heard of the s7 you mentioned. a metallurgist i aint !

DocBernard

Screen Shot 2023-04-17 at 10.49.53 PM.png

I have an account with mcMaster carr (man, I love that company), and I found this metal. It's air-quenched so once it's heat treated it's supposed to handle impact really well. I bought 3' of it, so it should allow me to play around and mess up a few times.......since I only need 2" per tool. I also got some HSS and some tungsten carbide.

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
When I started engraving and nothing was available, I made mine out of plain old hardened drill rod. I still make punches out of drill rod.

gtsport

Elite Cafe Member
Please keep us posted on how they work for you. I've made gravers out of O-1 which is fine for soft metal engraving, but even annealed steel is rough on them.

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
S7 is a shock resistant steel yes, but to do that, it won't get as hard as a proper cutting tool alloy and probably won't hold an edge very well.

I have a precision ground angle plate I made as an apprentice from S7. Someone "borrowed" it and used as an anvil.
Now it has dents on one corner. Had it been a different material, say O1 it might have chipped but not dented.
I was able to stone the burrs off and save it, but the dents still hurt.
(No one ever fessed up of course.)

DocBernard

MJ, did you heat treat the S7 before use? It's said that properly treated S7 has a decent rating. I am playing around with different steels and alloys. I have HSS, S7, and tungsten carbide rod here.

Last edited:

mossleycrue

Wanted to see if anyone else is using S7 tool steel for their hand made graver tips. Going to give it a try after I heat treat and temper them. I will admit, I am a tinkerer and if I can make something versus buying it, I like doing it and finding ways to do it.
I like to find alternative methods also. Visit my Instagram page. #metalbadassery
I tried various materials like welding tungsten, allen keys, various drill bits, etc.... for making micro gravers.
I use micro gravers exclusively now instead of traditional gravers!

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
MJ, did you heat treat the S7 before use? It's said that properly treated S7 has a decent rating. I am playing around with different steels and alloys. I have HSS, S7, and tungsten carbide rod here.
I sent it off to our mold shop heat treaters. it's maybe 57RC. Probably more like 55 though. It scratches pretty easily.

fitzo

:::Pledge Member:::
S7 gets used for things like those giant teeth on earth moving shovels and bucket machines. Larger cross sections. Doesn't really have a terribly high amount of carbon at 0.5%. Looks like HRC 57 is about as high as it hardens.

MoldyJim

Elite Cafe Member
S7 gets used for things like those giant teeth on earth moving shovels and bucket machines. Larger cross sections. Doesn't really have a terribly high amount of carbon at 0.5%. Looks like HRC 57 is about as high as it hardens.
Yeah I should have used something like O1 or A2 but I had a chunk of the S7 given to me.

fitzo

:::Pledge Member:::
Yeah I should have used something like O1 or A2 but I had a chunk of the S7 given to me.

I'd have tried it, too! :) You have me remembering that I purchased some "HSS" square stock off of Amazon and intended to try it for gravers. Doh, forgot. Thank you for reminding me. :beerchug:

Latest posts

Sponsors