Question: Makers Marks

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
on buckles, nearly an inch high on the back other items 1/4" or less. all hand engraved

diandwill

Elite Cafe Member
My nicer pieces, all jewelry, belt buckles etc., I engrave my hallmark. I also have a hallmark stamp, the figures are 1.5mm each, and I have a microstamp of my last name, in .5mm figures, that I use on some non-jewelry items, or items that people don't want a larger hallmark on...some knives etc. It shows as a disruption to the finish, but with a loupe can be easily read.
Many different solutions for different pieces and price ranges.

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I sign my work differently depending on the scope of the work and what it is on. I have a small hallmark stamp with CRB intertwined that is about 2 mm in diameter that I use on small jobs. Because my brother is an engraver I have to differentiate my mark from his. Since he began engraving first, anything signed "BLEILE" is Carl's work. My signature is minimally CRB or R. Bleile, or C. Roger Bleile.

Since this subject came up I would like to recommend that if you are a FEGA member, send a facimile of your marks to the FEGA historian, Bob Evans. I am constantly getting "who done it" requests about a gun with some cryptic marks or initials that are unknown to anyone but the engraver. One engraver's work, that I was able to decypher, signed his initials in reverse order. Who knows why?

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dan,

Another approach is to have a go at embossing your own stamp in steel, and hardening it? It is a form of deep sculpting the letters so that they stand out in relief. I also agree that engraving small script on every piece is the best of cutting exercises.

Rod

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
If I recall correctly it was Lynton McKenzie who engraved his mark in several sizes in reverse on a steel plate and did a wax transfer when he needed to by-line his work. Always intended to follow suit just never got around to it. Fred

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Fred,

and there is the other approach, engrave your mark in carbon steel, harden and temper it, drive it into unhardened carbon steel with heavy hammer blows to produce the embossed male image, then harden and temper the male image. Is not that the way the Romans and others made their coin stamps? As I recall, Steve Lindsay used that approach to make a die to stamp his name plate onto a disk that is attached to some of his Palm air assists? Could be a nice little project to try?

Rod

Latest posts

Sponsors