major disaster

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
decided to remove the jaws of my positioning vise. huge mistake ! after cleaning all the dust & debris out i went to reassemble. it wouldn't return to its original condition. the left hand threaded pin had become badly crossthreaded. curiously before disassembly it worked smooth as ever. in a panic, i called grs and they sell a "fixit kit" to solve the problem. new goodies for all critical parts ! i just don't understand how such a badly crossthreaded device worked so smoothly before takedown, then not at all. anybody ever have this happen ?

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
did you try dressing or re-chasing the threads at the ends of the shaft for a 1/4" or so? or were you able to get it reassembled properly but it just wouldn't run smoothly, or binds on the threads? i'm guessing it may have worked fine previously because in use you're running the threads out in the middle, but perhaps the ends are buggered badly enough to prevent everything from going back as it should? maybe you could post a good close-up pic of the LH shaft end?

monk

Staff member
no -, mitch. i didn't try dressing any of the threads. the threads on the main screw are all clean and as they should be.
when taking the fotos, i noticed-- they weren't cross threaded as i first thought. some of the threads were actually broken loose. when handling the pin to snap the fotos, some pieces of thread actually fell out onto the bench top. the 2 fotos are the best i could get to show the damage. i never really "muscled" the vise in use. it just seemed as though the metal was brittle. thankfully a "fix kit" is on its' way from grs. the debris you see here is actually broken thread fragments. i would ocasionally open the vise to near max, but there was never any unusual roughness noticed when tightning or loosening the jaws.

Attachments

• lh pin1.JPG
    lh pin1.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 355
  • lh pin.JPG
    lh pin.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
yeah, those inserts are probably case-hardened and normal repeated use is enough to start chipping away at 'em. what all will you get in a "fix-it-kit"?

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I took mine apart for cleaning and to try and get to the bearing, but couldn't figure out how to do it. My threads were fine and everything cleaned up well, except for the bearing. It still drags some and is noisy, which is normal I guess for thirty years of service. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting to the bearing?

Bill

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Marcus. I had removed it for cleaning but I guess it was stuck more than I expected, as it wouldn't lift up. I'll try harder when I get home; my wife and I are taking a breather in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Bill

monk

Staff member
mitch: not a heck of a lot. 2 threaded pins , the o rings, a pscket of grease and maybe replacement shims. i ordered a new main screw. just in case the old one might have some defect that i overlooked. i also ordered the "pressure button" and 2 new springs. i felt the needed release force to move the levers was too much, so replaced them with 2 having lesser tension.

marcus: i tore this beast down when i first got it. you're correct about backing out that screw on the bottom. as above, i wasn't happy with the pressure needed to move the levers. when the "fix kit" gets here, i'll be putting the original tension springs back in. the kit should get here this week.
fortunately, grs provides very good takedown information on the positioning vise.

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
We have 25% ownership in a condo in Blowing Rock and come here for two weeks about every six weeks. Maybe we could get together sometime?

Bill

whereabouts? i live south of Asheville...

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
sure, any time! (i also replied to your PM)

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch, My Ex and I used to venture up to the Castle about 4 times a year for the wine and cheese events. I preferred beer but she liked the wine and the group so we went. It was a lot of fun when they tapped a vintage that had been in the barrel for years and years and they all compared notes and reviewed before bottling the stuff. Very nice country up there. Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors