Magnum sample

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
While reading on another thread concerning piston problems with the 901, I read with amazement that Lee Griffith uses the Magnum for everything including cultivating potatoes and harvesting wheat.
That led me to set my Monarch down for a few hours and give The Magnum a spin with some pretty interesting results.(Every once in a while,you just gotta take the time and play.)
The Magnum, although quite a bit heftier in the hand than the Monarch, delivers some pretty good results.

Attachments

• Magnumsample.jpg
    Magnumsample.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 473

Gene Tru

That's really a nice piece Brian. Can you explain how you did the background? Also, what metal did you use for this?
Thanks,
Gene

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
5mi from the nearest Dunkin Donuts in Tennessee
Do you use the Monarch for all your work Brian? I think I've used mine once.

Anyway .... we will not only see how well this thing takes a beating but for how long as well. Hopefully it won't be joining some of my other tools at the bottom of the Kanawha River in six months ... :rolleyes:

Chris

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Gene, the background is just a round burr in the rotary handpiece. The metal is actually a slide from a Caspian Arms 1911 .45 ACP

Chris M. I use the Monarch for just about everything except where I need the horsepower of the Magnum.
Magnum can hog out background effortlessly. This was a first attempt at using it for delicate shading.
I imagine I will get better with some practice.
Let me know if you want to "toss" the Monarch.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian, I really wouldn't toss something into the river if I thought it could be of use to someone else. You've got me thinking though ... there are better folks than I that are using the Monarch consistently. Must be a reason I've still got it on my bench.

You guys make it sound as though the Magnum is difficult to control ..... as though it had two speeds - on and off. Well ... I should find out today or tomorrow when it gets here.

I'll finally be able to finish the exhaust heat shields and get that stuff off to the chrome plater out there in Grafton.

Chris

BTW Brian ... I'll send you a p.m. to let you know when I plan on riding out that way. Probably be in a few weeks. Got the engine in and it runs perfect .... just gotta work out the bugs in the electrical and get it on the road to make sure it don't leak. I'm really looking forward to a 3 hour ride out that way.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian, I'm trying to teach it to mow the lawn. So far no luck. Maybe I'll go back to the goats. I suppose one reason I use the magnum so much is it has enough power that I seem to be able to relax a little more and not push but focus more on guiding. I still use the monarch occasionally.

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I started with just the Magnum and added a Monarch later. I've done a lot of things with just one of them but when I think about it I'll switch to the 'appropriate' one.

You can dig out metal with the Monarch but it takes it longer. Doing delicate work with the Magnum is easier - just takes a lighter touch. I'm used to that though - my maternal grandfather was a blacksmith and I've got his big rock-like hands so I always have to watch the amount of force I use.

Although a sudden loud noise would leave a much more impressive mark if you're using the Magnum than the Monarch. :eek:

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris, I didn't mean for you to toss it (the Monarch)into the river....I was hoping you would toss it onto my workbench!
Didn't get your PM....????

Lee, can't get mine to mow the lawn either. I guess the 4410 John Deere gets to keep the grass cutting gig.
Back to work!

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I knew what ya was saying Brian :) !!

I'm using the Monarch now cause my 901 is shot. If this happens with the Magnum after a year of beating on it, the Magnum will go into the river. In fact, if I ditch any of my GRS stuff for Lindsay's, I'll save the Monarch for you. Having three different handpeices is enough ... this IS running the tool treadmill.

I didn't e-mail you yet .... had to step out for a few.

Chris

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Well ... the Magnum showed up in the mail today. Haven't tried it yet though.

The thing weighs a ton. I better not ever lose my top when this thing is my hand ... it might accidentally hit one of my neighbors cows and kill it if I throw it. :)

Does anyone know how much air should be going through it?

It seems that about 20 psi works but you gotta push the pedal halfway down before it does anything. Does that sound right?

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris, The magnum tunes up just like the other handpieces. Turn the air down a bit and as you up the pressure you will hear light stroking and continue to inch up the pressure until it stops and then it will engage as soon as you put your foot on the pedal. I feel like my magnum has as much finesse as the 901 and the advantage of more power.

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee, Brian .... boy am I glad you guys checked in on this so fast ... thank-you!! I've been scratching my head as I turn the air up and up and up ... no wait, that was my blood pressure!!

I took the piston out and gave it a quick rub with some paper. Just seems to be more than a bit tight. It's right about 20 psi and I'm able to tune it in better. It also came with a crimp in the hose which I sorta squeezed out. Hmmm ... might have to give a call and get a new section of hose if it don't stay.

I'll break it in on some motorcycle parts this weekend. It's just begging for some abuse.

Chris

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris, You'll love the magnum for cycle parts. I recently finished a set of exhaust shields and it made the job so much easier than using the 901. The cuts were just as fluid - but much deeper - than I could have accomplished with my 901. Let us know how it goes. :)

Christopher Malouf

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Tira ... that's exactly what I'm cutting this weekend too. All three feet on one of them ... YIKES!!

From what yer saying, that means less cutting time too. No more multiple passes with the 901. Yep ... I been procrastinating on that three footer but not any more.

Catch ya later, Chris

KCSteve

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'll bet that's why the motorcycle part I did (as a test) went as well as it did - I just used my Magnum and never knew it was supposed to be difficult. Plus, it was aluminum - I worried more about having too much power than too little.

Once you start cutting with it you'll be amazed at how lightly you can cut with it.

Latest posts

Sponsors