magnification question

I can't afford a microscope, and being a hobby I can't justify spending that kind of money. My question is what are my other options? I've seen the visors, but none of them seem to have much power to them.

I don't suppose there's any kind of DIY microscope project that a person could make is there?

Chris
www.blowyourbrassoff.com

Tira

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris, There is not a DIY microscope that I know of, but the internet is vast. If you can find plans and they don't cost much go for it and let us know.

Other options include:

Many people have purchased cheaper foreign scopes. There is a mixed feeling on them. Some people have gotten deals and are happy, others have complained that the scopes are not very clear.

The #5 optivisor seems to be the "standard" that most people have. Others go to a #7 or #10. You may try to use one of the optivisors with low lens reading glasses that you can find at a drug store.

There are higher level loupes starting at the price of the optivisor and going up to $1500 or so for Zeiss. Maybe we will have other people chime in for what specific brands works for them.

Many engravers in Europe use a hand held magnifier that looks to be about 2.5" across. I don't have one of these and never used one. They are generally used for bulino type engraving because you need one hand to hold it while the other hand uses the burin. Not sure that would help w/ hammer and chisel.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hi Chris, and welcome to the Cafe. Based on what you've said I would think an Optivisor will be your best bet. When and if you're ready to move up to a microscope, get a quality Japanese scope such as Meiji. My advice is to avoid Chinese microscopes. Please review the Tips Archive for more info on microscope. Cheers / ~Sam

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I recently bought me a second hand microscope (Bausch and Lomb) with stand / lightning and GRS mini ballvise for 400 euro for my son in law.
It bought it from a stone setter.
If one search on the internet, he/she can find affordable tools.

And welcome to the Café

arnaud

I found this page with a number of diy microscopes. I think at some point I'll give it a try but for the time being I think an optivisor is the way I'll go. None of them seem to have much power to them though, at least not the ones that I've found.

http://www.funsci.com/texts/enm.htm

Chris

kcrutche

Elite Cafe Member
Build your own Microscope

Chris

I have been to your web page.

If anybody could make there own Microscope, you could do it.

I certainly would not bet any money against it.

Ken

If nothing else it will be an interesting experiment. I'm not sure how well it would work, but it looks like it would be fun to try.

filbertius

Elite Cafe Member
I think someone here posted recently about a rig they used which stacked two optivisor lenses to increase mag.
Gary

Now that sounds interesting to. It's really fun to make all my own gear, but I think I should also remind myself that all this gear isn't going to amount to squat unless I actually use it and start practicing. I think the potters wheel vice will be the next project and then with the help of an optivisor I'll start trying to spend some real time practicing. I don't want to lose sight of the fact that practice is, after all, the only thing that's going to make me better.

However I'm still interested in trying to build some kind of magnification device at some point, but right now I'm just itching to make chips fly.

Chris

fegarex

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Chris,
From your other post I can tell you love to build stuff. The question would be do you want to spend the time building a microscope or spending that time practicing engraving?
I guess I would take the time to look at an engraver style microscope you know what you would want to end up with. Spending a lot of time to make something that isn't sufficient isn't spending time well. On the other hand, if you doing that as much as engraving, go for it!

From the looks of the project I don't think it would be more than a few hours work, the project I was looking at was incredibly simple. I look at it like this, it's something I can do on the cheap, it would be an interesting learning process, and end the end if it works cool, if it doesn't no biggie. For me engraving is a new hobby, one that serves as a nice distraction from everything else, so while I'm anxious to make chips, I'm also enjoying the process of making my own tools and building my own equipment. But you're right in that normally time spent building something mediocre is time wasted, however in this case with the simplicity of the project, the fact that I don't think it's something that will take me long to do, I think it would be worth the time.

Chris

lesholmes

Elite Cafe Member
Chris,
I am only a hobby engraver and I have a stereo microscope, but I think you should be reminded of an observation that has been mentioned on this forum several times: Evgraving needs to be good enough to pass inspection at reading distance using reading glasses. While cutting you only NEED enough magnification to keep your eyes from tiring. You should have the best optical equipment you can afford, but good enough to please you using your reading glasses at reading distance is sufficient. If you are going for pictures, get or make a microscope -- if you make one be sure to take pictures along the way.

Regards,
Les Holmes
Montgomery, AL

RT Bit and Spur

Elite Cafe Member
Chris
I found a used a security camera that I could change lenses. I bought a variable lens that would screw right to it. A tv or other screen shows you what is in your vice at variable powers. Then you can sit any way you want to when engraving. I bought every thing used except the lens.
Rod

tbear

Chris,
I found this on EBAY and they look pretty good. The company has a lot more styles than this one. You can get onto their web site and hunt around and talk to them about the right kind. I had found another one on EBAY and posted a question about it on another engraving forum and this is the answer I got back and also the web address that shows the scope. They even have a return policy if you do not like it. I think that trying to make your own microscope is going to end costing you a lot more than it is worth. Hope this helps.

Answer to my question:
The one you are looking at only has a Working Distance of: 4" (100mm) to me I think that is a little close, the better one is here:http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5X-45X-BINOCUL...4.c0.m14.l1262 It has a Working Distance of: 8" (200mm) and has the double boom stand, it's a much better scope for just a little more money.

Web address to the microscope:
http://cgi.ebay.com/3-5X-45X-BINOCULAR-STEREO-BOOM-MICROSCOPE-RING-LIGHT_W0QQitemZ200263129748QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea09cda94&_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Chris,

I saw your post this morning and then visited the page following the link that you left there. Well… after seeing that DIY projects I was thinking all the day in writing some lines to you.
It is evident that you like very much and enjoy building your own tools and that is great and also many of us, me the first, have the same inclination BUT… this time I would like to strongly discourage you to go this way with the microscope.

The marvel of the binocular vision that allow us appreciate distances and volumes is a huge complex and “automatic” system and also a very sensitive one.
When you are watching through an optical device your eyes and brain are performing adjustments constantly to let you see that image at the best quality and that’s right when you are using quality optical systems but again… when you are using a device that may has some defects, say by example, misalignments, our eyes will try to correct that moving they self constantly ordered by our brain that are not receiving a quality image.
And the worst scenario is that they will not manage to fix a clear image because the error is permanent in the devise so, the eyes and the brain will be making adjustments constantly like a crazy servo system all the time you are using that defective device causing you terrible headaches and cervical pains (at least).

Chris, our vision system is a precious treasure and must to last all our lives. It would be really a mistake ruin it in the pursuit of saving some money.
I would suggest you buying a good Optivisor and wait for a better moment to buy and also a good microscope.

Take care of your eyes!
All the best,
Leonardo.

PS. By the way… your tools are really great! Congrats!

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Chris, our vision system is a precious treasure and must to last all our lives. It would be really a mistake ruin it in the pursuit of saving some money.

Leonardo, you stated that beautifully. I really admire your command of the English language.

Leonardo

Elite Cafe Member
Thank you Sam!

I am far of writing English in a way I write Spanish (not to talk about speaking :().

The enjoyment of so many hours of reading and writing in this wonderful Forum has been of great help in the improving of my English language skills. Thanks to you all for that! :)

Kind regards, Leonardo.

I think an optivisor of some sort is the way I'm going to go, but this still looks like it would be an interesting project to be done if for no other reason than for the fun of it.

Chris

Latest posts

Sponsors