Question: Mac software

delder

Elite Cafe Member
I'm about ready for a new computer. Been using a PC for ever. The new Macs are unbelievable. The question is that I have been using Corel Draw for my designs. I understand that they don't make a Mac version. Can I convert my Corel files over to something more generic? If not, do I start from scratch? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Also, what graphic program is best. Thanks guys

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
I have an iMac and Macbook Pro, & run CorelDraw using Parallels.

If you go the Parallels route you'll need to buy Parallels, and maybe a Windows OS if you don't own a copy that can be transferred & installed on the Mac. Also, need to partition Mac for OS & Windows. Relatively easy to install. Setup comes with Parallels.

Alternatively, you can convert your CorelDraw files to another format, e.g., pdf, ai, etc. Then you could install Adobe Illustrator (not free) or InkScape (free), or some other drawing package that runs under OS on you Mac, and use your converted CorelDraw files. I just tested this option, and it works.

Maybe you already know, but the new Macs don't have internal DVD/CD drives. If you need one, you can buy an inexpensive external USB drive. I just got a Samsung DVD/CD drive (highly rated on Amazon) for $33.

Last edited:

Chujybear

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I run Corel draw on my Mac.
It's a bit older version. 11, I think. Was the last before they stopped supporting the platform..
If you are going to run parallels then you might consider saving space on your new Mac and run parallels from an external hard drive (if you use thunderbolt there will be no lag)

LVVP

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have an iMac and Macbook Pro, & run Adobe Illustration using Parallels too, by the way - very happy.
If you need help, send me PM, please

donarizona

mac mini is a Macbook pro cut in half and stacked. I use one with Corel Painter
Sketch Pad and WACOM medium tablet. It has a dvd slot. Use with HDMI display screen.

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
man, you folks have given real ideas here. i bought a copy of parallels some time ago. never used it at all. i use cd v11. i'm gonna check out the possibility of putting v11 on this mac laptop. this is an older laptop, i'm guessin using the external drive, that this would work.

Latest posts

Sponsors