Help, please: Lyndsy or en-set

Martinos

Hi everyone , this is my first post . I am seriously considering buying a new engraving setup. I have been researching the Lyndsy air graver classic for some time and had made up my mind to get one. Then i came across the En-Set . Its base price is close to that of the lyndsy classic with a foot control. Although i have been a goldsmith for over 35 years i am looking to improve my hand engraving as well as use the tool for setting. I wonder if anyone here has any experience with either of these tools , and would be willing to give me their experience.:thinking:
Thanks in advance

rayf24

Elite Cafe Member
Having used both styles of equipment I would say Go with the enset the slower speed control will allow for greater control over cutting and has excellent striking power which is full adjustable but it will also run at higher speed if you look on the engraversstudio forum site there are some vid clips of how the enset works I think it a more flexable system.
Ray

Last edited:

mrthe

Like you will can see in this post, everyone have his preference, all are great tools, the best will be try it before buy if you can ;)

TyG

Elite Cafe Member
I ran a beginners class here last weekend and had all 3 types of power assist equipment. My personal preference is GRS but that is what I started with and have become extremely comfortable with. There was a Lindsay palm control handpiece which took me a little getting used to but was very nice to use especially with light cutting. The Enset was very good for beginners to use because of the slow, deliberate hit when cutting starts, this allows the user to get an idea of control of the handpiece quickly. I think stone setters will love this equipment, inlaying would be very easy and also relieving large areas of background.

I still love my Gravermach but that may be a different story if I started with something else. Ty

Cloudy

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I have had and used all three systems extensively, but now use the En-set for all my work. Just really enjoy the amount of control it gives me.

bildio

Elite Cafe Member
I have had and used all three systems extensively, but now use the En-set for all my work. Just really enjoy the amount of control it gives me.

Do you have the basic or Plus En-set? I'm wondering about keeping a constant speed with the foot pedal vs. a fixed setting with the Plus.

Martinos

Like you will can see in this post, everyone have his preference, all are great tools, the best will be try it before buy if you can ;)
I agree with you , but the GRS equipment is the only one i can get hands on in the UK. If anyone is in the county of kent or london that have a lyndsy or enset they have imported i would travel to try them out. Because of the work i do, i am now leaning towards the EN-SET.

mrthe

I agree with you , but the GRS equipment is the only one i can get hands on in the UK. If anyone is in the county of kent or london that have a lyndsy or enset they have imported i would travel to try them out. Because of the work i do, i am now leaning towards the EN-SET.
There are some airgraver in UK search in the Lindsay Forum and i'm sure you will find domeone that will show it to you, about En-set i don't know

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The En-set can pack a punch if you want it to. I really like it for setting work. I use both GRS AND En-Set. They both work for me. The En-Set is amazing for stone setting, e.g. a thick white gold bezel; it will gently move the metal like clay (for real). I never seen any tool move metal that way. It will also raise a bead right up with one pop. Buy both just raise your prices;)

Martinos

Thanks for the info Mike , can i take it you had the GRS before the En-set. Do you prefer the En-set for setting over the GRS and likewise the GRS for engraving.Or would you have been happy if you only had the En-set.

Bladesworks

Hi I am in the UK and I have an Enset, I got it just before Christmas but have only got into using it in the last couple of months because I was busy with other work. I am in south Glos and you are welcome to come and try it if I am not too far away. I got it because of its slow speed capability and I must say it makes setting stones very much easier, I am doing settings I wouldn't have attempted before.It gives you so much more control.
I am also starting to do some engraving with it, easy to do , hard to do well! I keep practicing though. I got the Plus because I could afford it at the time, so far though I have only used the ordinary setting. I got mine from Tira in the USA, if you do get one get a lot of the collets, you will use themup and they seem to have expensive postage for small items (Fedex). Tim

Martinos

Martin

Hi I am in the UK and I have an Enset, I got it just before Christmas but have only got into using it in the last couple of months because I was busy with other work. I am in south Glos and you are welcome to come and try it if I am not too far away. I got it because of its slow speed capability and I must say it makes setting stones very much easier, I am doing settings I wouldn't have attempted before.It gives you so much more control.
I am also starting to do some engraving with it, easy to do , hard to do well! I keep practicing though. I got the Plus because I could afford it at the time, so far though I have only used the ordinary setting. I got mine from Tira in the USA, if you do get one get a lot of the collets, you will use themup and they seem to have expensive postage for small items (Fedex). Tim
Thanks Tim , i have also been in contact with Tira. I have yet to place an order , i was wondering if the slow speed means more jagged cuts . Or if it is possible to have smooth bright cut lines with higher speeds.:thinking:

Bladesworks

Yes you do see chatter marks along the cut, I suppose that is when the other mode comes in, it sets the tool speed and the footpedal adjusts the force. You can of course start with more pressure and it is quite smooth in a split second. I am a only beginner but I found using the footpedal to adjust what I am doing is automatic quite quickly.

The slow speed is great or pushing over bezels and beads with one hand, raising beads and forming beads from raised ridges.

Martinos

Martin,

Here is a link to my you tube channel where you can see several demonstrations using the tool for setting and engraving. http://www.youtube.com/user/mrchristian1954/videos

Thanks,

Chris

Thanks Chris , i think i have seen most of your videos and have enjoyed them all. It was seeing your youtube videos that made me interested in your great product. The flare cut is my favourite. This was the one that has very smooth looking cuts , but it is difficult to see the full detail. Is it possible to have very smooth bright cuts with the low strike rate of the enset compared with other systems high strike rate. I think it is , but i would like the opinion of the inventor. I see you have used other equipment in the past and with your bench background have a wide understanding of jewellery techniques that have influenced the developement of the Enset. Hats off to you , and Tira who i have been in contact with.

Christian DeCamillis

Elite Cafe Member
Martins,

The answer is yes. The Enset has a wide range of adjustment option that it takes a little time to understand how to adjust it for every application. For the best result in making bright smooth cuts you need to tune down the power, rather than increase it. This may be contrary to what someone might think but the proof is in doing it.

I think you have received a lot of unbiased opinions here. It is a difficult choice given that all the systems made today are excellent. Each including the Enset will have their respective pluses and minuses. For any one tool to fit all is difficult. I think the suggestion to get to someone close to try is always a good way to go.

Thanks for your consideration of the Enset.

Chris

Sponsors