Looking for gravers

bravo20

Hello sorry if its in the wrong place but if anyone has any gravers for sale that i can buy from them im looking for gravers already sharpened i can use for hammer and chisel engraving thanks in advance

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hello sorry if its in the wrong place but if anyone has any gravers for sale that i can buy from them im looking for gravers already sharpened i can use for hammer and chisel engraving thanks in advance

Pre-sharpened gravers or chisels is not a good way to go, even if there is such a thing. They will require sharpening shortly after you begin using them. Might be hours or minutes, depending on your engraving skill. Buy blank gravers and learn to sharpen. There's absolutely no way around this.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
One thing I would add, buy hss (high speed steel) unless you want to become a professional sharpener.

bravo20

Pre-sharpened gravers or chisels is not a good way to go, even if there is such a thing. They will require sharpening shortly after you begin using them. Might be hours or minutes, depending on your engraving skill. Buy blank gravers and learn to sharpen. There's absolutely no way around this.
Hello Sam thanks for your reply i should've added more i wanted them presharpen or well preshapened so i can compare to mine i've got blank ones and sharpened them i just wanted to have a good example so i could compare mines and see where i might be messing up

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
Hello Sam thanks for your reply i should've added more i wanted them presharpen or well preshapened so i can compare to mine i've got blank ones and sharpened them i just wanted to have a good example so i could compare mines and see where i might be messing up
if they cut well without a problem, hmmm-- perhaps they're properly sharpened. sam is spot on. you must develop good sharpening technique to achieve consistently good ressuls.

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
If you would like to sharpen with the Steve Lindsay templates he sells a pre sharpened carbalt graver on his website under the graver section. It’s nice to have a visual representation to go off while learning to sharpen. No way to avoid learning to sharpening!

Sinterklaas

Elite Cafe Member
Also when you get new ones to compare. You will see that new gravers dont have a heel facet. That is something that you must put on. And it is very important to how a graver cuts.

Latest posts

Sponsors