Critique Request Looking for design critique. Thanks!

AllenClapp

Elite Cafe Member
Allen, thanks for lending the keen eye! I hadn’t noticed until now that scroll above the dust cover, seems obvious now that it’s been pointed out. I’ll have a go at reworking this section to make it flow better with the rest of the design. At times while drawing I feel the design is more just happening and less that I’m controlling the design if that makes any sense. Maybe that’s the creative process at work or maybe that just a lack of skill; I’m still deciding! Im glad you like the overall flow of the piece other than this one area though.

As for the budget, there is no set budget for this gun. I’m not some oil tycoon but this will be my first handgun engraved. I have engraved many necklace pendants, knives, watches, tools etc. I believe engraving skill wise i am ready for a bigger challenge. To challenge myself I purchased a nice smith and Wesson 1911 millspec stainless. I plan to work on this design until I’m happy enough to dedicate myself to the completion of the piece no matter how many hours it takes. The gun will act as both an ice breaker to the gun engraving world, and a major showpiece. This being the rough draft design I will work a border into the rework and see how i like it. I see how this would act to frame the piece and tie things together.

As for the gold tendrils do you mean gold sections to the scrollwork itself? I think this would look nice however would require careful balance to keep from looking to gaudy.

As for the design going outside or very very near the edge in some areas chalk that up to a lack attention since I knew this would be a rough draft requiring revision. I do see what you mean and you’re defiantly right about that resulting in a rough edge! I think a nice border may tidy things up a bit.

Thanks again for all the advise and I will make sure to post my revision once it’s done!
An easy way to stay out of trouble on scroll direction is to only draw the backbones first. No leaves to confuse issues. Draw the major scroll backbones, then minor scroll backbones, and then leaves.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
That means you served prior to 1983. Many arguements are made regarding the adoption of the M9 over the 1911. I can see merit in both camps, but the fact that the SO community held on to it lends some credit to the caliber at a minimum.
I wasnt trying to single you out as you have provided valued insight to me previously. We all converge here from distinctly different backgrounds, and "cross-pollinating" as the Plans/Operations community calls it is vastly valuable.
V/R Dale
9mm “loser” inferior to .45 .

papart1

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Ah........I was in the army from 69-72, vietnam 70-72, and I didn't get my 16 till early to mid 70. Went throught basic at the Knox with the 14. Maybe they where still being used in 1983 for training? I carrried m79 and 45, and a 870

Rannis

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Ah........I was in the army from 69-72, vietnam 70-72, and I didn't get my 16 till early to mid 70. Went throught basic at the Knox with the 14. Maybe they where still being used in 1983 for training? I carrried m79 and 45, and a 870
I believe maybe as recent as late 70s early 80s. They switched from the M16A1 to the A2 early 80s.
By the time I attended basic it was all A2s. I quess the DOD leadership decided it was wise to provide basic qualification on the system someone would be using.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
I agree, The 9mm is TOO fast for its dia, at times passing through with little terminal effect on the target.
Although this caliber is responsible for more death because of its long time usage around the world, i agree with you.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Ah........I was in the army from 69-72, vietnam 70-72, and I didn't get my 16 till early to mid 70. Went throught basic at the Knox with the 14. Maybe they were still being used in 1983 for training? I carrried m79 and 45, and a 870
For me 69-70, BCT, fort Campbell,ky. had orders for Nam , cancelled them ,sent me to Germany. Used m-14’s there as well. When we record fired we used the officers 45’s, they weren’t as worn out as the non-coms from the arms room.

Latest posts

Sponsors