Help, please: Looking for a good knife model (like Spyderco, but less expensive) for practice

Dupont24

Does anybody have a favorite model Of knife used to practice engraving,but much less expensive?

I want to engrave some nice personalized knives for a few of my customers.

Looking for a manageable metal handle for easy engraving.

What model? Where to buy? What is the cost?

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
At one time walmart sold a winchester knife set for around $10. It was a good looking knife and the bolster metal cut nice. The set was a folder and sheath knife.
Sandy

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
Try the stainless steel scaled versions of the Spyderco Byrds - here's a link to a knife supplier I've used in the past: http://www.knivesplus.com/spyderco-knife-byrd.html#2

I recommend you start with the small Robin model - less than $20, and the knife quality is quite surprisingly good. I carry an engraved Meadowlark in my pocket daily. They cut quite well, make something much nicer than a practice plate, and aren't so expensive you'll feel really bad if you screw one up........

Good luck!

Tom

Last edited:

Marcus Hunt

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Ditto, Spyderco Byrds. Nice steel to cut, but hey, even a Spyderco isn't an expensive knife. Some of the less expensive knives really aren't very nice to cut but others are fine. Spyderco's are just made for engraving. I'm noodling away on a Ladybug at the moment, not because I have to but just because it's a bit of fun!

Dupont24

tsterling, I ordered from the site you shared and I got five Byrds in the mail today. I purchased 5 Cara Cara models for $23 a piece. They are nice big knives, beautiful blank canvas. I can't wait to start cutting. Thank you all for your suggestions. If they're worth sharing I'll be sure to post some pics as I complete the projects.

Last edited:

tsterling

Elite Cafe Member
tsterling, I ordered from the site you shared and I got five Byrds in the mail today. I purchased 5 Cara Cara models for $23 a piece. They are nice big knives, beautiful blank canvas. I can't wait to start cutting. Thank you all for your suggestions. If they're worth sharing I'll be sure to post some pics as I complete the projects.

Great! Let us know how they work out. And show us the results, whether you think they're good or not. We were all beginners at one time (even though some of us started by engraving on dinosaur claws...) and there is always something to be learned from other's work. Don't be shy.

Tom

Latest posts

Sponsors