Critique Request Look what I can do now, video

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I have been working at something which might be of interest to some users of this site, a video!
I am not sure that the final result justify additional efforts, so before to ask someone else to replace my own inept commentaries with something more pertinent I thought I would ask you.
So feel free to criticize and to tell blankly what you think about this endeavor.
The video is currently posted on youtube.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of0E-ls-sxs&feature=youtu.be
BTW this video is 1 1/2 hour (about 1gb) that is why I did not post it here.
I have an other one about 1 1/2 hours about english scroll and "bullino" which I posted also on youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eebCX1qzFck&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

DakotaDocMartin

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
You will have to change your privacy settings if you want anyone to check it out. It's currently set to Private.

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
I am able to watch it, nice video, a pity you don't show the whole and finished piece.

Sorry about that, the microscope could not show the whole part, too big, I try with a webcam but the picture was really bad, next time I will try just to take a picture.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
First off thank you for sharing, what is your final goal? The the purpose for making these?

I guess once we know, would be able to give a better critique? Hope this makes sense.

Saludos,

Carlos

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
First off thank you for sharing, what is your final goal? The the purpose for making these?

I guess once we know, would be able to give a better critique? Hope this makes sense.

Saludos,

Carlos

Those are legitimate question I should have address in my first posting. The video are suppose to be informative and educational. Informative to the public at large, educational to people who might consider starting engraving either as a hobby or as a profession. I am not planning to sell the video even so the content belong to me, I am just planning to post them either on Youtube or on my own website.
Of course the video need to be of sufficient quality to fulfill their goals and it is why I ask to the users of this forum their opinion. I am not a teacher or a videographer, the final question is: Are the video good enough to be of use for the above stated purpose?

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
OK, as someone that is learning i would say lighting at times, maybe a secondary source. That's what comes to mind, I'm not sure if it's recorded in hd or it was my phone connection, but otherwise it was great, also could you show the tools your working with and geometries.

Hope I'm not coming across to be so picky, just answering your questions, non the less, thank you for taking your time to make them.

Saludos,

Carlos

Brian Marshall

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Stockton, California & Taxco, Guerrero, Mexico
Carlos, a phone is a pretty poor viewing instrument... and it gets worse as you get older.

Best to wait and view videos on a proper screen before offering an opinion. But patience is getting to be a very rare commodity...

I have my own problems with cellphones.

I am not a Luddite - but the national average now, of checking your phone every 6.5 minutes cannot be a good thing...

I have to require students to leave the damn things in a box outside the classroom. Look at 'em on bathroom & lunch breaks.

Life was meant to be lived where you are, not 3,000 miles away - IMHO.

And videos were never meant to be viewed on phone size screen.

Brian

Last edited:

Thierry Duguet

Elite Cafe Member
OK, as someone that is learning i would say lighting at times, maybe a secondary source. That's what comes to mind, I'm not sure if it's recorded in hd or it was my phone connection, but otherwise it was great, also could you show the tools your working with and geometries.

Hope I'm not coming across to be so picky, just answering your questions, non the less, thank you for taking your time to make them.

Saludos,

Carlos

Thank you for your input, do not be afraid too picky, if I was looking for compliment I would leave adulatory messages on my own answering machine. I am aware of the lighting problem but I do not know how to solve it, maybe a better camera would to the trick, a second source of light might be a good solution which I will try next time. As for the other part of your reflection, I am not a teacher, I show what I do but leave the more mechanical aspect of the work to other, I do not take measurement and never bother to find out what is the precise angle of my tools which I sharpen by hand, I use hammer and chisel. Furthermore tools and geometries are way beyond the scope of these video, I try to show what is been done not how it is done.
Once again thank you for your input

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for your reply, I have a little set up that I use it's also an HD camera webcam I'll try to show you how I have it set up let me know what you think, Paolo A.K.A. mr the, uses one like it if not exactly like it, you can find them pretty cheap nowadays used

Saludos,

Carlos

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian, i use a note 3, some consider this a small tablet, its actually great for viewing videos, or at least with my current eyesight who knows in a couple of years from now, I just don't remember while viewing it if the feed was in HD

Saludos,

Carlos

Latest posts

Sponsors