Logo on Signet Ring

matthew.townsley

Elite Cafe Member
IMAG0718.jpg

Just thought I'd post a ring I did at work, some little progress as I continue to learn.

I have two questions for you folk. When doing a dot punch background, do you hammer so that the bead forms but the area around it mushrooms around it? Or do you hit the punch softer to try to minimise the "mushrooming" so to speak. This is in gold as well.

Second, and unrelated is the word arkansas. I believe it is pronounced "arkansaw"... I was talking to a mate of mine about sharpening stones and he called it an arkanSAS stone, and we were wondering what Americans refer to this stone as. ArkanSAW or ArkanSAS stone? Any takers?

Cheers,
Matt

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Matt, if you remove some back ground with a square graver in a tight 90* cross hatch pattern first and then use your dot or beading punch the metal will gather instead of displace.
It's Arkansas stone.Pronounced "arkansaw". Very hard and fine,todays manufactured equivalent might be ceramic. Ereyago mate!!!!

matthew.townsley

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks mate! Us Aussies get a bit confused with hidden 'w's haha I'll let the other people know how to pronounce it the proper way.

As for the background, I did remove it with a 90, but I couldnt quite get a full blown cross hatch pattern. I went back and forth between a 90 and a small flat...

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
that beautiful white stone was in it's heyday for a very long time. still a very useful stone to have in spite of some of the high tech factory made stuff most of us have. it's a natural stone.there are some softer types, but i never used them. i was blessed by a machinist friend who gave me a beautiful ceramic stone- 1x2 by about 7". needless to say, i have a high regard for this piece.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
that beautiful white stone was in it's heyday for a very long time. still a very useful stone to have in spite of some of the high tech factory made stuff most of us have. it's a natural stone.there are some softer types, but i never used them. i was blessed by a machinist friend who gave me a beautiful ceramic stone- 1x2 by about 7". needless to say, i have a high regard for this piece.

I'm the proud owner of these bad boys use them for sharpening my knifes

Carlos De La O III

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374463824246.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374463824246.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 163
  • uploadfromtaptalk1374463838408.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374463838408.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 163

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mathew, removing the back ground in the manner that I described takes a little discipline. You might have to do this twice to get it to the proper depth before raising the beaded texture and there is no need for the use of a flat tool.

matthew.townsley

Elite Cafe Member
Matt, I very much like the clean look of this piece. Oh, and good luck explaining why Kansas isn't pronounced Kan"saw"...heck I've always wondered why the word Phonetic didn't start with an "F"???...:)

Thanks, it is a customer's business logo that he wanted engraved. I agree about phonetic, and psychiatrist etc etc haha

matthew.townsley

Elite Cafe Member
Mathew, removing the back ground in the manner that I described takes a little discipline. You might have to do this twice to get it to the proper depth before raising the beaded texture and there is no need for the use of a flat tool.

When removing just with the 90, is the background still flat? Or are you saying that the cross hatching produce a small texture, and then the beading tool will happily go over this texture?

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Yes, this technique gives you some metal to put into the beads without mushrooming out so much. And to answer your Q , no the background will have a crosshatched texture that you then run your beading tool over.

Last edited: