Little silver box

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is what I finished last week, a little silverbox where I scratched in some flowers .
But not only the flowers, when I finished the engraving I wanted to remove the finger prints.
So I took a soft cleaning cloth from the bench and wiped it over the box, what I didn't notice was that there was a piece of sanding paper underneith the cloth.
And I scratched the entire engraving, amazing how much and how deep those scratches are from a piece of fine sandpaper and hard to remove :beat up:
Willem

Attachments

• doosje.jpg
    doosje.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 191

Andrew Biggs

Hi Willem

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!! That's enough to make you weep.

Great job of fixing it up and a very nice job all around. You can always tell a good tradesman by the way he fixes his mistakes :)

Cheers
Andrew

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
No Silverchip, I didn't make the box I've got this one from a jeweler.
I have the intention to build one in the future and the process I am thinking of is to make the whole box (bottom and lid in one piece) and take a saw for making it in two parts on the right level.
And after that I will solder a strip of silver into the bottom part sticking a litlle out to create an edge for where the the lid should fit over.
After that I will mount the hinges in it.
That's how I think I would build a box, (maybe with a domed lid that should be done before soldering)
Willem

AndrosCreations

Elite Cafe Member
Beautiful work, Willem! I hate when I accidentally scratch something after it's done... Very pretty... thanks for sharing!

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
With the high price of silver today one way to cut the cost is to use wood for the bottom. That is how some boxes where made, even when silver was relatively cheap. Kevin Scott

Willem Parel

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thank you Andy, my pleasure....
Great idea Kevin about the wooden bottom, i'll keep that in mind because I think it will look also pretty with a bottom like that, thank you.
Willem

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Maybe next time you need to polish some silver, try using toothpaste on your finger and just rub. After that, to get a good fine finish, use your finger and rub some very fine talcum powder over it, but don't wipe it up with any type of paper, even the super soft toilet paper. It works in a pinch, but jeweler's polishing cloth is better.

Bill