list of what stainless steel you can engrave

zmankay

Shawn,

This is information that I collection from some of the guys over the last couple of years and put it into a Word file on my PC. It may or may not help you. See below:

STAINLESS STEEL INFORMATION

- There are 2 basic types of stainless, 300, and 400 series. The difference is that one is, marstinetic, and the other is austinitic. That being said, what’s it mean?? OK here is the deal;

- 300 series is a stainless that has more Chromium and Nickel in it. It is used in places where corrosion can be a problem. Think all those stainless surfaces in a restaurant. Depending on the grade of the 300 series, as in 306, 308, 310, 316, they can run the gamit of soft to work, to non-machinable. Almost all of the 300 series is non magnetic. Also it is generally a bear to engrave, think carbide.

- 400 series is a stainless that contains more iron, than chrome and nickel. It is generally used in places for its easy machining, and its corrosion resistance. Some of the 400 series will rust if exposed to moisture long enough. Most of the 400 series steels are slightly magnetic. The GRS Key Fobs are made out of 416 stainless. The 400 series is hard to find, except in the knife maker supply area. Check the parts with a magnet. If it sticks you will probably be OK. Powderhorn

- 400 series stainless will rust and/or tarnish. It is not suitable for jewelry. A surgical grade stainless is best.... 303 preferably. It is hard to cut but the least hard of all 300 grades. Malouf

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
engraveable stainless steel

Shawn,I engraving stainless steel Ruger's with no probem,weres a start for a list.:beerchug:J.J.

Latest posts

Sponsors