Lion On A Nickel, Finally

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
A Long Time Ago I Bought A Scope To Do A Nickel. I Could Do More To Improve This Cat, But Have Learned A Lot Doing This. Am Eager To Start The Next One. Am Grateful To All On The Forum Responsible For Allowing Me To Learn How To Do This. I Was Unable To Spend As Much Time As I Wanted, But Finally. It's Done Thanks To Steve For The Tutelege, And To Sam Who Really :d Inspired Me To Buy A Scope !

Attachments

• LION.JPG
    LION.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 254

coincutter

Elite Cafe Member
You've done well - Monk

I know how this project has gone for you, you put a lot of hours and effort into this piece
Now that you understand the joy of carving coins you can continue on to do some other pieces.

I would second Stephens opinion about moving to the Buffalo nickel. It's much more plesant to carve than the metal in the coin you used.

See ya on the backside.

walrafen

I sure am pleased to see you finish up this carved nickel my friend and am looking forward to your next project so that someday I can add a "Monk carved nickel" to my NiCE collection! Keep up the good work- V-Dubya

monk

Staff member
i don't know for sure, but those in the know say the buffaloes are softer, and more homogenous thruout. i was surprised doing this nick, there were hard spots and soft spots as well.

FL-Flinter

Elite Cafe Member
I haven't graved any nickles yet but have used them for sights and sight inserts, I'm familiar with the hard spots you encountered.

While I'm asking questions, may as well add this one:
How do you hold small pieces like the nickle when your graving on it?

monk

Staff member
very easy for me. i used hot melt glue centered the nickel on a small block of wood. then the wood block clamps in the magna block jaws. i carved the nickel under the scope. i'm way to blind to have done that without a scope.

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Monk, I also recommend you use a buffalo nickel as a host coin, start with a simple design, man with hat, beard, etc... If i can be of any help, just hollar..

monk

Staff member
billzach: this seems to be a very common theme with the hoboists. i mean to do a guy with the hat and scruffy beard. i think the work i've seen by all who post here and elsewhere is exceptional work, to say the least. perhaps i'm being a bit selfish here, but my aim is to do design that's at least a little different from most others. i have a personal need to create something a bit different. it is the collectors who establish the "rules" i suppose. i would never intentionally offend them, or anyone else, but i must first carve what feels right for me. if i don't enjoy this work, i would never do it. so i must carve where the fun is for me. i just hope that others find a measure of joy in looking at my work as i do in doing it. i already have a 1937 waiting in the wings, but am waiting for a lightning bolt to deliver my next design inspiration.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
It looks good for your your first attempt. Mine was MUCH less attractive. Keep carving and have fun as you said.
After a while it becomes addictive. At least for me.
Later,
Keith

www.keithpedersen.com

Billzach

Elite Cafe Member
Monk
I don,t collect carved coins, i just love to carve them , but most of the collectors do like a hobo related, famous person, carved on a coin..But if you,re carving for enjoyment there,s no need to carve what collectors want, only what makes you happy...[ps] Your first carving is much, much, much better than my first one, in fact my first carved coin looked like a coin that had been run over in a parking lot for a few years..

Latest posts

Sponsors