Line graver

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Hello,

I need help selecting a good universal sized line graver. I ordered a 10/10 line graver the other day thinking this would work....it turned out lines that were finer than frogs fur. Don Glasser mentions using a 18/10 graver in a DVD while doing western scroll engraving. I would like play around with one while doing scroll work on a inexpensive Italian Cap&Ball revolver.

Any help would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Dennis

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
18/12, 16/10 etc. 6/4 ,8/8. You won't be even close to one size. You will need 3 sizes for sure. Pm me your # and we can talk about it in more detail.

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
Liners......Fact or Fancy......I don't know?

Just a tidbit of old engraving and old engravers that should not be lost by passing time.
I'll put it out there and would be interested in knowing if others have heard of this.

Many old time hard metal engravers ( including me ) swear that the odd number of line gravers cut better.
We are talking 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 lines and so on.
My mind tells me that this makes no good sense, but it just seems to work on steel.
About all my used liners are originally odd number of lines or have been modified to be odd.
This does not apply to my special 2-line liners, they work just fine.

This makes no good sense for sure, but try it if your lining on steel. I think you will become convinced.
Quite a few of the old world engravers swear by it for ease of control.
I have never heard of this being advocated by bright cut engravers.
We all know they do a lot of beautifully lined jobs, more than most today.
But maybe some do, I'm not sure. Liners seem to have limited use on gun work in this era.
I have run into some older jewelery engravers who agree that an odd number of lines works best, especially when used for letter stem cutting.

All this rambling and about a buck-and-a-half will buy you a cup of coffee in a cheap place........!
You can file it in the Department of Useless Information if you want.
But I would like to hear your thoughts.

Sorry if I have jumped on your thread, Dulltool. Forgive me, please.

Best to all, John B.

Latest posts

Sponsors