Lindsay border scribe

Mike576

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Anyone else have a Lindsay border scribe which seems off like this one? Used it a few times and hadn’t noticed till just now that the milling of the oval shape is not parallel with the shaft which holds the scribe. Not sure if I’m being too picky but I assume that’s a defect to the manufacturing.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3711.jpeg
    IMG_3711.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3712.jpeg
    IMG_3712.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 108

T.G.III

I don't currently own such a scribe, that said does the offset oval allow for the scribe to get closer to the oval in a manner that would allow for a very narrow border line.

In other words would the oval interfere with closing the scribe enough to make a narrow border.

Also, with the oval offset it may reduce the tools tendency to chatter while dragging it along the work piece.

Again, just wags as I do not own one.

mtlctr

Elite Cafe Member
Good divider, not Chinese, works every time. Not familiar with the Lindsay.

EngraverHand

Elite Cafe Member
Mine seems to be straight.. I know the feeling, but maybe you are a little picky (without being rude) as it does not affect it any way as I can see, does it? You choose the distance you want, tighten and scribe.. I love mine and use it a lot. :)

If it bothers you, send Steve an email, but I don't think I would bother over this as long as it´s working fine and doesn't affect it in any way.. of course if it does, it should be replaced. :)

IMG_8103.JPG

Mike576

Mine seems to be straight.. I know the feeling, but maybe you are a little picky (without being rude) as it does not affect it any way as I can see, does it? You choose the distance you want, tighten and scribe.. I love mine and use it a lot. :)

If it bothers you, send Steve an email, but I don't think I would bother over this as long as it´s working fine and doesn't affect it in any way.. of course if it does, it should be replaced. :)

View attachment 52208
Thanks for the reply, I’ll keep using it as is, was just wondering if it’s a feature or a slight error, adds character. Works fine as is so no need to bother Steve

Dani Girl

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I bought the lindsay scriber jigger... I didn't find it particularly easy to use to get great results compared to starret dividers. I think them or maybe the jewellers ones would be my top recommendations, starret being the cheaper of the two. Who's the jeweller/stone setter who makes his own dividers? They've got removable tips which seems like a good idea. I got some like them from officeworks but there's too much flex in the body, but useful to be able to use carbide tips.

pblack

Dani,

Are you thinking of Alexandre Sidorov? He has a set of dividers that GRS produces for him. The original models were a black finish and he used carbide burs that were then ground and shaped. The new ones are a stainless finish and the replaceable carbide tips are now made specifically for the dividers verse homemade like originally.

AlexTools Dividers

They are my go to dividers even though I have a set of Starrets. I'm primarily a jeweler/stone setter and use them a lot for laying out stones.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Sponsors