Liberated Zippo

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
A little project I've been working on. My first go at Libery style, which has fascniated me since I got that Fracassi book.

That Zippo will have a companion with the same design, but a little twist to it. I'll post that one, when it's ready.

What do you think, liberated or not? :)

Vilts

Attachments

• liberty_zippo1.jpg
    liberty_zippo1.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 272
  • liberty_zippo2.jpg
    liberty_zippo2.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 196
Last edited:

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
I have seen the layout on your blog and it is neat! I was quite curious how it would look like. It came out very well!
Mario

jlseymour

Elite Cafe Member
V
That's very nice...
WOW!!! Maybe a good word...
See you at the engrave-in...
Maybe you could give a seminar on computers to do voice and video and the internet at the engrave-in 2010...
Your Friend,
Jerry

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very handsome Vilts. What is the Liberty style? And what is the connection to the Fracassi book? And the title please of that book. I'd like to see more.
Kevin P.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is some very fine sweet work Vilts.

I really like your style. It's refreshing and unique. Keep up the good work!

CJ Tate

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice work and pleasing to look at.

Question - Is it a standard off the shelf zippo? in the picture it is a little yellow.

Steve223

Elite Cafe Member
I really like that design Vilts!
I just did a Zippo also but after seeing yours and Doc Marks i think ill just keep mine to myself lol.
Steve

ddushane

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I love it Vilts! The design and execution are fantastic on this one. Thanks for posting it.

Dwayne

Andrew Biggs

Hi Vilts

Looks great!!!! This is your best one yet.

Cheers
Andrew

P.S. Kevin.........the book is available on the FEGA web site at www.fega.com at this link or from GRS at this link.

In the new year the third book in the series "Giancarlo & Stefano Pedretti - Master Engravers" is coming out as well. These are extremley good books that explores the arist and their work and I would highly recommend them. Very inspirational.

Last edited:

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the kind words!

V
See you at the engrave-in...
Maybe you could give a seminar on computers to do voice and video and the internet at the engrave-in 2010...

Jerry, I have actually thought about Engrave-In presentation about Internet-and-stuff. I certainly could do it, but as the event is very much about engraving, then it would be the Boss and the People who decide it :). But I guess quite a few might be interested in how to create good-looking website in 10 minutes or less...

Very handsome Vilts. What is the Liberty style? And what is the connection to the Fracassi book? And the title please of that book. I'd like to see more.
Kevin P.

Kevin, I hope Roger doesn't mind and I use his Engraving Glossary definition for Liberty:

"LIBERTY – A highly ornate and non-traditional style of ornamental scrollwork practiced by some gun and knife engravers in Gardone, Val Trompia, Brescia, Italy. Sometimes referred to as “spaghettiâ€￾ engraving by English speaking engravers both for its Italian design origin and because of its profusion of thin entangled scrolls."

Really nice example of that scroll from Brian Hochstrat - second knife in couple of knives thread.

The book I was telling about was Firmo & Francesca Fracassi: Master Engravers. Only $75 bucks and worth every nickel.

Very nice work and pleasing to look at.

Question - Is it a standard off the shelf zippo? in the picture it is a little yellow.

CJ, yes, that is standard brass Zippo. I guess my light balance was off during shooting (and my monitor calibration is anyways off), now I made the photos little cooler. See if that's better.

I really like that design Vilts!
I just did a Zippo also but after seeing yours and Doc Marks i think ill just keep mine to myself lol.
Steve

Steve, that's not a competiton :). If it would be then we'd have only 10 people showing their work here ;). So, you can show it!

Vilts

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Vilts, extremely clean engraving and a great interpretation of this fascinating style! I am going to have to get some of these larger Zippos to give me a larger "canvas" to work.

Mark

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
beautiful work Vilts-your interpretation is a wonderful effort - a word of caution though "liberty" style is copy written for what it is worth. the artist who developed it will have to say more on the issue and use of the term- Fred

vilts

Elite Cafe Member
Question - did you engrave both sides or just one?

Just this one side, wasn't paid to do both sides :)

beautiful work Vilts-your interpretation is a wonderful effort - a word of caution though "liberty" style is copy written for what it is worth. the artist who developed it will have to say more on the issue and use of the term- Fred

Fred, what do you mean by 'copy written'? Is the term under copyright, or the style? If just the term, then I just might call it "Vabadus" style and be done with it :). If the style, then I'd like to know more about it. As far as I know you can't really copyright a style, or can you? Specific design, absolutely, but general style?

So, if you know more about it, please shed a light into this.