Critique Request Lettering on the inside of a ring

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Engraving on the inside of a ring is something I really wanted to learn.
There was my first tread on that subject with a lot good feedback, but I could not do some lettering that satisfied me. So I gave up and used a bur to do the letters on the inside of rings.

But reading Dave's tread about his class with Sam, showing his first attempt to lettering, it gave me a punch to restart practising this sort of engraving. So thanks Dave. :thumbs up:

This wedding ring I had to engrave some letters and a date. I ruined some silver rings till I thought I could give it a try for real.

This wedding ring is only 3mm wide, so the lettering is only a bit more than 1 mm.
I found out that engraving real small letters is easyer than bigger ones.
But I think I will have to practice on that as even in this ring it would have been more legible when the lettering had a bit bigger size.

I used only a wide graver, nothing special. It is no problem to reach the space to be engraved on the inside of a ring, perhaps it is with a wider ring.

I think I didn’t do a bad job so I will surely go on with this discipline. Hope you like this.

arnaud

Jim Sackett

Elite Cafe Member
Very nice inside ring engraving! I would probably have brought the hairline from the bottom of the J over and connected to the o. Or cut a heavy up-stroke to the right of the J to fill up the space.

Jim

Last edited:

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Arnaud, you did great! Very neatly done and professional looking job. Congratulations.

leschowe

Elite Cafe Member
Hi Arnaud,
Great job! Great photography!
This is something that I haven't tried yet but I definitely want to learn.

What size flat graver did you use?
Is that a stamp on the left side of the lettering?
What font are you using?

Les Schowe

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Arnaud,
Great job! Great photography!
This is something that I haven't tried yet but I definitely want to learn.

What size flat graver did you use?
Is that a stamp on the left side of the lettering?
What font are you using?

Les Schowe

Thanks Sam, your compliment means a lot to me.

@ Les, I did not use a flat graver, just a square 100° that is all.
Indeed that is my mark stamp I need to ad with the alloy stamp to every jewellery I make.
I don't use a font nor a pencil, just a bottom line for the text. The font I use is probably something I have seen a lot done by others. I can draw these strokes on paper as it are just fragments of small cuts that makes the illusion of some flow.

arnaud

Daniel Houwer

Elite Cafe Member
Thats great engraving Arnaud!
And also on my wanting list of things to learn.
How did you hold the ring?

Greetings,

Daniel

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thats great engraving Arnaud!
And also on my wanting list of things to learn.
How did you hold the ring?

Greetings,

Daniel

Daniel, I think it is essential how you hold the ring.
So I have put it right up what gives the opportunity to be able to cut on both sides.
I also have a old leather sand bag that I have tried, that also works. It is the engravers bag that was used in the old days I suppose before the engraving machines where invented.

But putting the ring vertical in de ballvise makes it able to reach a lot of space inside the ring.
You only have to put the ring in an other turn to do the next letter.

arnaud

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
Hello Arnaud!
I have one point i would like to give a critique - the main lines, the optical height and wight of the letters.
In fact it is a photo and perhaps i did not see it correct, but i think the letters could have been a bit closer to the lower border.
Mario

Below are three examples - please decide which looks better to your eye.

Attachments

• height.jpg
    height.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 40

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hello Arnaud!
I have one point i would like to give a critique - the main lines, the optical height and wight of the letters.
In fact it is a photo and perhaps i did not see it correct, but i think the letters could have been a bit closer to the lower border.
Mario

Below are three examples - please decide which looks better to your eye.

Hi Mario, I know what you mean and tried to find some of the tree that I prefer, I think it is the first one but they look quite similar to me.
I also want to notice that the non capital letters are only 1 mm, sure that is a lot under the scope but not that much to make such moves with the graver.

So if it would have been better to make the letters a bit smaller and the capitals a bit bigger, your critique could work on these.
I have seen plenty of these letterings on 3mm wedding rings, and another trick there was to engrave the letters more bending forward (other angle) so they can be bigger. I have tried that but than it is more difficult to reach all the curves needed to make a flowing letter.

I also have to try this on a wider ring, as I think that is also more difficult, say a small size ring in a wide of 8mm

Thanks for your positive critique, and sure I will try to improve this, arnaud