Lettering Help

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I'm working on my lettering. James Meek has a section in Chapter 4 "Lettering" in which he states that the basic hairline cuts (illustrated in the attachment) are the basic stem cuts to fix in one's mind. Script lettering is under discussion and I think I understand what he's saying , but there are a couple of things that are confusing
What does the symbol, second row last on the right, a circle with one half black, the other white, mean?
Also the bottom left above I and J confuse me. The arrows indicate the cutting direction, but the shaded area indicates what? type of graver? He has said previously in the text that letters are all cut with square gravers or flats or round gravers Does this relate to 'I' and 'J' ?
Kevin P.
I cannot upload; it's indicated as an invalid file. It's J. Meek's "Art of Engraving" p.93 upper right.

armcarve

Hi Kevin,
When I first started doing script lettering, I photocopied & laminated that same page 93. I keep it on the side of my bench & I still reference it once in a while. I use either a square or flat graver to cut all my script lettering.

That entire figure 4 diagram illustrates every type of cut or stroke needed to engrave his script alphabet in figure 5. I think your first question was why the circle is 1/2 black & 1/2 white. He is demonstrating how he makes the dot to top a lower case "i" or "j". He uses black & white so it is easier to see how he cuts it. Your second question was on the "I ,J & K" bottom line of figure 4. "I" demonstrates how he uses a small shade cut in front of a hairline starting capital "A" "M" "N". Next is "J" to demonstrates again on how he cuts a dot for the tops of lower case "i" & "j". Next is "K" to demonstrates how he uses a "pick" stroke to square off letters like the top of a lower case t, i or the bottoms of the first two strokes of the lower case m & n.

Once you start cutting the letters over & over again you will memorize the strokes. I hope my explaination wasn't TOO confusing.

Good Luck!

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"He is demonstrating how he makes the dot to top a lower case "i" or "j". He uses black & white so it is easier to see how he cuts it." So how does he make the dot? What graver is used? I think I understand the 'pick' stroke.
I plan to keep doing these strokes until they're muscle memory.
Thanks for the response.
Kevin P.

jerrywh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The best and simplest instruction I have ever seen on script engraving is by Don Glaser on his engraving tapes. I saw these twice and never have had any problems with script since then.
No doubt James Meek was a great engraver but I and many of my friends have had problems understanding his book. I read that book 5 times and never got much from it until I became more advanced.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Jerry.
What is the title of Don's tape that you found helpful. I have a tape or two of his.
As to James Meek's book I use it as a resource. Some of it I get some I don't and sometimes I'm not ready for what's being sent my way. I'm also Using "Engraving on Precious Metals" hoping that the combination works.
Kevin P.

armcarve

Kevin,
You can use a square or flat graver. You will get the same result. If you use a flat graver, place the left side of the graver in the metel & turn your vise. If you use a square graver, place your point in the metel tilt your graver to the right & turn your vise. You should get a nice round dot.

Hope this helps

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jewelry Engravers Manual

Jewelry Engravers Manual is a good source for lettering check it out. It's more comprehensive than Meek on this. There also some other good books out there that specialize in lettering.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Now I know how to make a dot. Every step helps.
I'm going to get "Jewelry Engravers Manual". If you know of others please let me know. I'm a great one for book learning. Then, when I get some practice in, it's time for class room instruction.
Thanks for the help.
Kevin P.

dhall

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Thanks for that little gem of an engraving book. Skimmed it prior to downloading and looks really interesting.

Doug

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
"The Art of Engraving" publ 1904 thanks for the link. There are so many things that do not get old. Except for developments in 'sharpening systems' it all seems relevant today. Well, even the method of sharpening is still relevant.
Thanks again.
Kevin P.

Ron Smith

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
mdengraver,
That is an excellent book. It covers a lot of the old way techniques. I would highly suggest it for those interested in lettering. I didn't read any of it, but could see by the illustrations there is a wealth of information in it that is not being taught about lettering today. It just about has it all.

Ron S

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Original Edition

Ron, I first purchased a used original copy of this book before I knew it was available online.
The book has been reprinted and now is available under a new name "Engraving on Metal Made Easy". The link is provided below.

Engraving on Metal Made Easy
Engraving on Metal Made Easy-Nobody has described Engraving on Metal Made Easy yet. Be the first to do so! Facts: Publisher-Univ Pub House Author-B. T. Horpe

http://www.amazon.com/Engraving-Metal-Made-Easy-Horpe/dp/1877767255

Last edited:

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Jerry -I found my Don Glaser tapes and have looked at part of his tapes. I think that Don
helps explain Meek. I'm keeping notes and These books are all helpful. I'll be reading one and the light goes on for me "Ah, that's what he (whoever) meant.
I met Don and he was a down to earth guy who made great tools and his son continues the work.
Kevin P.

tgw

Lettering book

Another good older book on letter engraving is Modern Letter Engraving by Rees.
It is on Archive.org. Sorry I can't make a link work.

This must be an older version. I think you can still buy a current version. The one on Archive is interesting because it has some notes and pictures added by a former owner.

Lettering is about all the engraving I do. It is challenging because it has to look good. Everyone knows how letters are supposed to look.

I really enjoy looking at the engraving on old bank notes and stock certificates. Those old timers could really do it well.

Terry

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Rees Engraving Books

• I believe the first two books are the same under a different name still in print
•
•
• Amazon.com: Modern Letter Engraving in Theory and Practice: A Manual ...
Amazon.com: Modern Letter Engraving in Theory and Practice: A Manual for the Use of Watchmakers, Jewelers and Other Metal Engravers: Fred Holmes Rees: Books
o www.amazon.com/Modern-Letter-Engraving-Theory-Practice/dp/1417995521
o • Cached page
•
• The Art of Engraving: A Practical Treatise on the Engraver's Art, With ...
eCampus.com: The Art of Engraving: A Practical Treatise on the Engraver's Art, With Special Reference to Letter and Monogram Engraving: Rees, Fred Holmes: 9781432503321: $24.37:
o www.ecampus.com/book/9781432503321
o • Cached page

• Bookstores Specializing in Engravings - Engravings Books - Biblio.com ...
ENGRAVERS' TOOLS AND TEXT BOOKS by Rees, F.H $25.00 Rochester, NY: F.H. Rees, 1912. First Edition. Original Wraps. Very Good. Illus from Photographs. 16pp of books on engraving ...
o www.biblio.com/booksellers/201/Engravings_Bookdealers.html
o • Cached page

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I was lucky to find a hard bound copy of "The Art of Engraving" for $10 on 'abebooks.com.
Kevin P.

Kevin P.

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Armcarve I was practicing that figure 4 from Meek this morning and made a lot of scrapes; but I plan to continue the practice even if it doesn't go well. Practice, practice!
I switched to a practice plate using a 120° tapered grqver that Sam, taught us how to grind in a clqss bqck in ought 5. I wasn't paying total attention and made a cut that went awry. It followed the line but I must have rotated my wrist. When I looked at the cut it looked like a great cut for lettering; it was broad, not too deep and bright and smooth.
Now if I can repeat that.
Kevin P.

Latest posts

Sponsors