Letter from E.C. Prudhomme

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
I found this in a box of old engraving stuff. It's a letter from E.C. Prudhomme dated Dec 1983. I had visited his studio and he graciously answered my questions about sculpting metal and other things. He later sent me this note about making punches for moving metal.

He was such a nice man and the first engraver that allowed me to watch him work and ask questions.

It's not particularly interesting...just a little piece of engraving history that's means a lot to me.

prudhomme_letter.jpg

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
That is neat Sam, things like that you just can't put a price on. My great uncle got me interested in engraving, and since he passed, his notes and emails mean quite a bit to me.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Sam,Back in 1982 Mr.Prudomme sent all FEGA members a small practice plate to engrave,I squared a wild boar and dogs on that plate.Wonder what ever happen to all those plates?I have a letter,post card with kind words from Ed. J.J.

Sam

Staff member
Sam,Back in 1982 Mr.Prudomme sent all FEGA members a small practice plate to engrave,I squared a wild boar and dogs on that plate.Wonder what ever happen to all those plates?I have a letter,post card with kind words from Ed. J.J.

I got one too, JJ, but never completed it. I don't know what happened to Prudhomme's plates, his tools, and all the engraved samples he had in his showcases (and he had a lot of them). Wilton English was trained by him and I think took over most of Prudhomme's customers, but he passed away a long time ago. I heard from Prudhomme's daughter once years ago, but I don't know how to get in touch with her. I don't think she was in Louisiana when she contacted me.

Sam

Staff member
Last I remember, the plates were in a museum or perhaps art gallery in Shreveport.

Thanks Sam. If that's the case, it would be the Norton Gallery. I know they have some of Prudhomme's engraved guns in there.

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Norton Gallery is the name I remember now that you mention it but could not say if they are still there. My son and I visited Jack in his shop in the early '80s if memory serves and went to lunch with him. A very enjoyable visit.

monk

Staff member
a precious document i talked with him by phone a couple of times. he was the kind of person that was a joy to talk with. he sent me one of the 1 x 3" plates. i put 2 dragons facing each other, blowing scroll fire. he told me the plates were to be placed in the shreveport museum. i don't know if the plates ever made it there, but it was a fun thing to do. to say the least, he was a very interesting gentleman to talk to. thanks for showing this, sam.

Sam

Staff member
Norton Gallery is the name I remember now that you mention it but could not say if they are still there. My son and I visited Jack in his shop in the early '80s if memory serves and went to lunch with him. A very enjoyable visit.

When I was there one of his old childhood friends came in to see him and to talk old times. He called Mr. Prudhomme "Eddie". I assume "Jack" was a nickname from his wrestling days when he was "Jack Hagan".

I had lunch with him as well...across the street at a diner or lunch bar.

He was quick to correct if you pronounced his name pru-DOME. He'd say "It's PRU-dum".

Frank P

Elite Cafe Member
Preudhomme or Prudhomme is a common name in Belgium - Liege Region...

can you tell us about this Connection?

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That is one off the advantages when getting older, you gather more personal history. Photos or letters like this make your history even richer.

arnaud

mrthe

Wow, very interesting piece of history, Sam i'm sure that you have the same problem in how people pronunced your name too ;)

mrthe

The same problem for me here in Spain, is normal, the sad part is that my son (4 years old) now pronunce it in the wrong way too like the Spanish people and every time i try to correct him to explain wich is the correct way he say me " Hey Dad , we are in Spain and we had to talk in Spanish not in Italian!!!"

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Since we have gotten into the subject of pronouncing engraver's names, I will mention mine. Almost every engraver or collector I meet, the first time, asks me how to pronounce my name. My family pronounces Bleile as if it were Blylee. Like a combination of the last names of Captain Bly and Robert E. Lee.

RB

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
that's how i screen the telemarketers- the worse they butcher my name, the more likely they'll hear- "I'm sorry, there's nobody here by that name. <click>"

Sponsors