Leopard knife

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
This a knife I just finished. I shot the background in white and was going to try and cut the images and paste them onto a background in photo shop, BUT, I have not figured it out how to get the images outlined exactly, any suggestions. Meanwhile I will read up on it and find out where I am going wrong.

[/IMG]

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Brian as always excellent work. Thank you for takeing the time to share the pic's. I'ts amazing how lifelike images can be engraved. I'm still stumbling on scolls and flowers
Eric

monk

Staff member
::::Pledge Member::::
with such gorgeous work, how could one ever go wrong here ? ok, so i'm blind ! but if anything needs fixed here, i think it's maybe just your lack of happiness with your own beautiful work. sit down, relax, take a deep breath, count to ten. nothing's bad here except you're insecure. this is great stuff !

Mike Cirelli

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian beautiful job.

You can click around the knife using the pen tool. The after going all the way around right click the image and choose make selection. Then you can go up to select and chose invert, then hit the delete button and you will delete the background and have you item cut out. This is a little different than Sam explains but check out Sam's tutorial on Igraver.

Tim Herman

Elite Cafe Member
Brian, excellent work! If you shoot pics with the knife on a gray or solid color background, in photoshop try the magig wand selection tool. It will select all the area of that one color/value. If it leaves smal areas just hold down the shift button and that will allow you too ADD to the selection. With your almost white background you lose the entire top of the knife frame making it very difficult to get an accurate selection. Hope this helps.

ron p. nott

Elite Cafe Member
hi Brian .. beautiful work ,, get Marty's CD from FEGA it is an excellent CD on how to do lay outs using the computer .. ron p

Brian Hochstrat

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for the advice guys, between Phil's tutorial and the advice Mike and Tim added, I was fairly successful. I surely will not be setting up for business like Coop, but I think these images will work well enough for my website. For the background pic, the bank of my irrigation ditch had to double for a pond out in the Serengetti and then I just darkened it back so it was more subtle, and then airbrushed in some shadow under the knives. Pretty simple task once you have gotten through it once.

[/IMG]

Andrew Biggs

WOW Brian!!

That makes a big difference to everything. Excellent!!!

Yip, Once you've done it and know the processes it's fairly plain sailing from there.

With the shadow..............PhotoShop has an inbuilt function that allows you to do that with a few clicks of the button and it's very intuative to do. Not sure what version of PhotoShop you have (mine's CS3) but if you go to the Help menu you should be able to find it quick enough.

Cheers
Andrew

FANCYGUN

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Brian
Go to a photoshop and buy yourself what is called a GREY CARD. Photographers use it to adjust the camera for proper exposure and color balance. It's a neutral grey. Use it as your background instead of white. Then it is a fairly simple proceedure to seperate your knife from the background in photoshop like you just did.
Great looking knife and now a great photo to boot too.

Latest posts

Sponsors