Leg cramps while engraving

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
I was wondering if anyone else gets bad thigh cramps while engraving. The backsides of both my thighs knot up after about hour or so.

I engrave sitting down while using a adjustable office desk type chair.
I am also using a GRS foot peddle :handpiece:
I've tried different chair heights but nothing helps.

Any suggestions or tricks would be very welcomed.:thumbsup:

glstrcowboy

Elite Cafe Member
If it's both thighs, I would suspect it doesn't have to do with the foot pedal. Seems a pedal related issue would only effect the pedaling leg. Have you tried getting up and walking around for a minute or two every half hour? Sounds kind of obvious, but that may be all you need. It took me a while to learn, but stopping for gas every hour whether I need it or not makes a big difference at the end of the day on bike trips. Hope that helps and it's not a more serious problem.

Sandy

Elite Cafe Member
Something that I have found that works for me for both thigh and calf cramps is from time to time wiggling my toes. Not sure why it works but it sure does help me. Be sure to start wiggling them before you start getting a cramp. I usually start shortly after I start and keep it up through out the time I am engraving.
Just something to try.:thinking:

clocksdr

I had a similar problem when I first started. I began adjusting the height of my chair at first, then i switched from my right foot and started using my left foot on the pedal. Not sure why that changed things but it worked for me.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Dennis,Try standing while engraving,sitting down all day is a real back killer and will give you cramps in your legs.The only time I sit is when I draw or laying out a design on a gun or a knife. J.J.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Airtact. I never knew how comfortable engraving could be until I stopped using a foot pedal. You can move your legs around and change positions and it made a huge difference for me.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've had several aches and pains over the years from engraving too and eliminated a lot with this chair:
Called a Roc-N-Soc drummers throne. Mine has a backrest (optional but not pictured) and casters that I installed myself.
Just a thought.

For what it's worth...I work 10-12 hours a day and I never have back/leg pain.

Last edited:

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Airtact. I never knew how comfortable engraving could be until I stopped using a foot pedal. You can move your legs around and change positions and it made a huge difference for me.

Couldn't agree more! It takes graver control from a conscious thought process to subliminal. Plus there's no fatigue from running a pedal.

Keirkof

I second Brian's suggestion. I use a saddle stool for setting, bought it for € 150 ($ 180 approx.) from a hairdresser's supply store and never looked back...

Mike Fennell

Elite Cafe Member
Brian has the chair. I take my Roc-N-Sok with me on some trips. The worst leg cramps I ever got was when I was learning to fly. Those Cessna 152 seats are the worst in the world. Get a good chair.

Potassium supplements help, especially if you occasionally get cramps in the calf of your leg at night. Haven't had one in ages.

Set up your ergonomics so that you are sitting up straight with your thighs parallel to the floor, and set things up so that you can change position from time to time. I use a timer to remind me to get up at least once and hour and do some physical work around the house or yard to get the heart pumping and the muscles working. Stand up and do some hammer and chisel work for awhile.

Your body likes routine, but it also needs circulation, and your heart relies upon your skeletal muscles to aid circulation -- muscular activity helps force the blood back through the veins. If you sit too still for too long, your heart has to do all the work itself, and sometimes the results are insufficient.

quickcut07

Elite Cafe Member
Everyone's got great advice the stool getting up and moving around done them all. Each improved the problem, as well I added a foot rest or stool. Fabbed it from some plywood laying around, as Mike had mentioned keeping the legs parallel to the ground and not binding with the stool or chair helps. Not sure if it is pinching of muscles or nerves but taking the pinch points out of play worked. I believe the best solution is knocking 20 or more years off the body. Have not got that one worked out yet. Good luck hope from all the suggestions something works for you.

Eric

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
The only leg cramps I get is when a sleep in the middle of the night the pain runs down my leg,I jump out of bed stand up and walk and the pain go away.Getting old sucks,but I'm hanging in there I got three kid to get even with.:thumbsup: J.J.

Dulltool

Elite Cafe Member
Thanks for all the tips and advice. I play drums so I will try using my drummers throne. My drums are set up right behind me in my work area so this should work out well.

I did searched Youtube for information on the Airtact but couldn't find that much.

I will try taking more breaks and wiggle my toes more but sometimes that's hard to remember to do when on a roll as eight hours can just flyby.... using a timer is a very good idea.

Thanks again for all your input it's much appreciated,

Big-Un

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I found the chair with a "crotch piece" makes my legs numb, so I use a regular padded folding chair and keep my legs parallel to the floor, plus I get up and move quite often. My sharpening setup is behind me so I must move to resharpen or just hit the edge occasionally. When my cramps persist, I drink seltzer water which contains quinine. My doctor suggested quinine for cramps, but you can't get it at pharmacy any more. Seems to help.

Southtexas

Elite Cafe Member
Some of the worst leg cramps I can remember came while riding my Goldwing. So I don't think the saddle style is for me either. I do, however, use a 3" thick gel pad on my chair. The pad is designed for wheelchairs and fits my high-backed office chair quite well. This seems to have helped me considerably, but I still get up and move around at least once per hour, often more. That tends to stop the rest of me from creaking... <grin>

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I developed cramping while undergoing chemo. All blood tests showed no deficiencies but would cramp-up in the middle of the night screaming. Tried every position of sitting know to man. Had physical therapist come to the studio and set things up. Took breaks. stretching exercises while working. Did isometric workouts while sitting at bench. Hands cramped so bad could not hold a pencil. Had to go on Social Security Disability for two years. Three things helped (still hit once in a while, maybe two or three times a month) Quinine, No longer available and have just about exhausted all sources I can find. Drink tonic water now. Second, pickle juice, Okay vinegar but I like pickle juice better (bread and butter pickles-sweeter) and Third stopping chemo. The last has presented a different but anticipated result. Good luck Fred

Latest posts

Sponsors