Parker folder one side done, comments welcome photo not the best:) Dave

Attachments

• DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 188

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Hey Dave, can you make the photo larger? It's really difficult to see the engraving.

pilkguns

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Dave,
hows it going, You will have to come back again, I am about to get enough of this contruction behind me to get my engraving shop back and into use.

pic is still a bit fuzzy so I can't really say anything about the shading per se. I like the patterns, definately would say the design on on the front and rear bolsters both are balanced well with an equal distribution of pattern and background. All things being equal though, I am not sure the two patterns compliment each other... will have to let it grow on me, a bit.

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Scott
The design thing is a killer for me. I don't really like traditional scrolls, leaves and flowers/rosettes are my thing. Thanks for the input I need all the advise I can get. Been by your area around christmas and new years on the road no time to stop buy. Good to hear the construction is almost done. Got the unit set up yet?

Andrew Biggs

Hi Dave

If I may make a suggestion.

You say that "The design thing is a killer for me. I don't really like traditional scrolls, leaves and flowers/rosettes are my thing"

You may be trying to put the cart before the horse. If the design thing dosn't come naturally then I would go back to basics. Get a Ron Smith book and learn how to draw leaves. He shows you step by step, line for line. You don't particulary have to like them.............just learn to how draw them.

Spend an hour a day just drawing them and learning how they are formed. Once you gain the eye and control for what you are doing ............then branch out and start your own variations.

At the moment you seem to be trying to do it the other way around, which is fine............but you are in for a very long road that way.

Design is like anything else we do. It takes time and practice, one step at a time, one building block on another. You don't have to be the worlds best artist. A good design cut with average skills always beats a bad design cut perfectley. A bad design cut poorly loses everytime.

Best wishes
Andrew

Jim-Iowa

Elite Cafe Member
Dave I like the knife. I can sure relate to the preference for flowers and rosettes.
The pattern you sent me of the Ivy has me drawing ivy on everything including my scratch pad at work. I think the flowers and plants are somehow easier for me to draw because there is little perfect or symetrical in nature? I however have to not allow myself to get sloppy.
Trying to get beyond scribbles and into design?:)
Can't seem to draw a decent Scroll to save my soul.
I need to get Ron Smiths book soon!
Have not cut any metal yet but will as soon as my garage shop warms above the single digits. And see if desire can somehow trump my lack of talent?

Last edited:

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Andrew
Thanks maybe I will give it another go I have Both of Ron Smiths books.
Jim
Yea it can drive you crazy, keep it up summer will be here soon