latest effort with the Enset and Lieca

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
This is one of my latest projects for this years TCA show in Oct. I used the new Enset and Lieca microscope.The Enset performed very well and was a real pleasure to use. The new microscope was like turning on a light in a dark room!!!!Fantastic optics and light system. The buckle is constructed with a steel front inlaid gold and silver. The back is solid sterling with the logo done in karat gold.
I realize the some of the sculptured features could be sharper but in some regards I did want it to look like a sculpture.It might have been more of an advantage to use 22k to obtain better detail. backofsteelovalbuckle.jpg steelovalbucklecloseup.jpg

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Dave,

Very nice job, congratulations!

Can you give me a sense of how that rope effect on your border is made?

I am especially interested in how the Enset unit handles heavy bright cut, the results do look impressive. I kinda like the massive weight of a GRS Magnum handpiece, and think maybe it is the mass of the handle that feels good to react against the stroke of the tool, so is the Enset handpiece got some mass to react against the graver blows?

best

Rod

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for all the kind words.
Rod, obviously Arnaud has posted his review on The Enset ,and I have similar plans to do so soon. I have been putting mine through every conceivable engraving scenario that I can think of from super fine line shading to heavy background removal without fail or lack of control. I have said that it is not the end all to the tool thing just what suits the job I am doing, I still push and have other power tools as well as H&C.I am VERY happy with the results so far.

GTJC460

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
That's just flat out awesome! I really like the scroll border going around the front side. It's a little hard to tell on my monitor, but is that single point or liner shading?

Edit:

I recently bought a used Leica S4E scope and love it. I had been using a Meiji EMZ5 for a while, but sold it and got the Leica. It's amazing how much brighter and clearer the optics are in the Leica that I have. I'm sure your brand new, state of the art scope is probably even better.

Last edited:

Haraga.com

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Very interesting buckle. I bet in real life the contrasting metals really look good together. How was the rope edge made? On my small screen it looks like the rope has strands? Did you engrave them in or is the rope made of smaller strands of wire? I haven't seen the strands go in that direction before. The stamped leather border looks good and is not easy to do at that scale. Once again, nice work.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
That rope edge is the coolest and I like your shades of grey with contrasty raised gold scrollwork.

Did you get the Leica with the enhanced depth of field? Fusion optics I think it's called?

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hi Sam, Yes I did get the new one that Tira is selling.I can't believe the difference.I have had the opportunity to compare with a couple of popular brand scopes and am extremely impressed with the clarity and depth of field as well as the new LED system.
Lenny as far as the rope edge is concerned,you just have to double twist square wire. The trick is to see how steely your nerves are and know when to go on or quite!!!!

silverchip

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Hey Stewart, congratulations on getting published in Western Horseman Mag.,I haven't seen it yet, but you deserve the recognition. YOu need to post more pics of your work here,your engraving is very nice.

bronc

Elite Cafe Member
Dave, thanks for the kind words and thanks for the help. I will always remember the first time I saw your work at the Trappings of Texas. I instantly fell in love with your work! I spent the whole show just studying what you had done--I was in awe of it, and still am!.
:tiphat:

Stewart

Latest posts

Sponsors