Larry Hagman, R.I.P.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Many of you may not know this, but Larry Hagman was a bit of a gun guy. Back in the '80s, Holland & Holland built a "Dallas" double for him with scenes from the TV show, characters, etc., including (IIRC) a big image of JR Ewing on the floorplate. I want to say the Brown bros did the engraving, but maybe someone else has a better memory? Not to my taste, but exquisitely done.

That gun was displayed in Holland's booth at SCI and Mr. Hagman was seen wandering about the hall. He also took a brief swing thru the ACGG/FEGA show.

Arnaud Van Tilburgh

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would like to see that gun if one has some photos of it.
We watched Dallas for years too on this side of the big water.

arnaud

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Mitch,I remember that Holland & Holland it has the cast from Dallas on the side plates,the Brown Brothers make a great team. It would nice to see a picture.J.J.

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks, Roger. that has it dated 1991, so i was off on that by a bit.

BrianPowley

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I remember when H&H displayed that gun at Reno. Didn't get to meet Hagman, but I was standing beside him when he was interviewed by the local TV crew. He said he had the gun built for him as a present to himself for the success of the "Dallas" series. He claimed he actually took it hunting one time and retired it. Took several years to complete.
The gun was spectacular. Southfork ranch, the skyline of the city Dallas, the 24K Yellow Rose, Ewing oil and the engraved portraits of the cast members on the receiver---except J.R.'s arch enemy Cliff Barnes. Where was his portrait? On the butt.

capece rocco

Elite Cafe Member
here's the other pictures of this gun
bye Rocco

Attachments

• ew3.jpg
    ew3.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 96
  • ew2.jpg
    ew2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 96
  • ew 1.jpg
    ew 1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 96

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
This all sparked some memories back in the cobweb section so I dug around my once-pristine shop and found the brochure I picked up at that time. H & H put out an 8.25x11.75 inch three fold brochure on heavy blue gloss paper with great color photos of all aspects of the gun and nice write-ups by H & H and Hagman. The brochure is dated September '91. I seem to remember the gun was on display at our FEGE show for a short time and that is where I got the brochure. I don't think I was attending SCI until '95 and later. But then, memory has its little jokes!

monk

Staff member
i never watched a single episode of the show. i will say i'm now a fan of that gun. his portrait was very lifelike.

Latest posts

Sponsors