Help, please: lap mandrel adaptor

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
can this be made?

lap mandrel adaptor

can I just by a bolt in 1/2 inch size and add a nut to hold the lap, and then place it in my bench drill, or will there be problems.

I want one for each lap and buying lets say five at 20 bucks a pop..well you can see what I mean..

thanks will add a photo of what I want.

here it is

Attachments

• mandrel-lap-adapter.jpg
    mandrel-lap-adapter.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

Kevin Scott

Elite Cafe Member
Home Depot, Lowes etc sell the mandrels for under $4.00 each. I did not have any runout problems with them when using them with diamond discs in the drill press.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Home Depot, Lowes etc sell the mandrels for under $4.00 each. I did not have any runout problems with them when using them with diamond discs in the drill press.

Kevin

Thank you. . Found it

Carlos De La O III

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1375147606831.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1375147606831.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 130

Terrezar

Elite Cafe Member
I have tried this several times, and the main problem is that the discs wobble. This problem is caused by the fact that most nuts you buy are a little uneven, the bolt you use may be a little bit bendt, the disc may be a mm out of centre and therefore causes the entire setup to "toss", and if you use a treaded bolt it may cause some problems when fitting it in a chuck.

A big part of the problem is also that if there is a little wobbling and you run the setup at high speed it can cause the bolt to bend and create more "toss".

Of course you can make this yourselves, but be as carefull as you can

Here is a link to help you get started: http://www.handengravingforum.com/showthread.php?t=3058

However, if you want an alternative you can take a look at this: http://www.engraverscafe.com/showthread.php?14579-My-homemade-stuff&highlight=homemade+stuff

Latest posts

Sponsors