Kornbrath

HEAVY LEATHER

Hi everyone. I'm new here and was hoping someone could give me their proffesional opinion on what I have here and possibly what they could be worth, I'm guessing they are some kind of sample plates. I've had them for a couple yrs and tried to do a little bit of research here and there. I've talked with a few people and they couldnt really give me a value on them. I'm possibly interested in gettin rid of them, but really dont know how to go about it.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMAG0204.jpg
    IMAG0204.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 594
  • IMAG0440.jpg
    IMAG0440.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 595
  • IMAG0441.jpg
    IMAG0441.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 597
  • IMAG0220.jpg
    IMAG0220.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 591

SamW

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Kornbrath had a business card like the first photo. It was intaglio printed so the die would have been in reverse as far as I know. I have one of the cards and they are nice indeed, very fine engraving and shading.

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
They are very nice. My guess but I would think they are very desirable collector's items. I would by pass ebay and approach someone like James Julian if it were me. Fred

Last edited:

SamW

Castle Valley, UT in the Red Rock country
Here is a photo of Kornbrath's business card in reference to your first photo. Not sure how the lettering is embossed?

The others look to be dies for cards also but not sure about the quail.

Attachments

• Kornbrath.jpg
    Kornbrath.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 549
Last edited:

JJ Roberts

SamW,I believe the printing platles were photo etched and embossing dies were used for the lettering,wonder why no one has ever written a book about Kornbrath and his beautiful engraving?Years ago I bought your photo of the Kornbrath business card and had it framed and now hangs in my shop. J.J.

Last edited:

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The copper plate was etched to be used for printing. I think that RJK cut the steel plates then used them as the basis of the photoetched copper plate(s) from which the cards were printed.

In the case of the quail, RJK experimented with enameled gun engraving for a short time so I think the quail is a rare sample of his enamel process.

As to value, the people on this forum (including me) probably have more interest in owning your RJK samples than anyone else but the only way to find the value is to put them up for auction as Fred suggested. I also agree with Fred that ebay is not the place. James B. Julia, Rock Island Auctions, or Amoskeg would be my choices to get the most from them.

I am also very interested in how you came to have the plates.

RB

JJ Roberts

The quail was engraved by Kornbrath and enameled with the help of gunsmith and gun builder Fred Adolf. J.J.

DKanger

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The quail was engraved by Kornbrath and enameled with the help of gunsmith and gun builder Fred Adolf. J.J.

CRS is active, but it'll come to me in an hour or two. The guy is even from the town where I live. Anyway, wasn't that quail on the gun of their trick and exhibition shooter?

Roger Bleile

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The quail and clay pigeon design is somewhat similar to the logo of the National Skeet Shooting Assn. but different in many ways. As for Herb Parsons, I reviewed his memorial web site and Google images and can't find anything similar to that design. He used lots of Winchester guns but the Model 12s he used were unengraved. You would think that given Parson's connection to WRA he would have had an elaborately engraved gun but maybe it wasn't his style. That RJK quail and clay design does look familiar but I can't place where I've seen it before.

HEAVY LEATHER

Thank you all

Tried to reply earlier but it didnt post.Thank you all for your input and advice. I think I will be in contact with Rock Island, I will keep you posted. Have a few more, one is from a different artist

Attachments

• IMAG0759.jpg
    IMAG0759.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 278
  • IMAG0760.jpg
    IMAG0760.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 273
  • IMAG0761.jpg
    IMAG0761.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 272

JJ Roberts

I found the quail and clay pigeon design in the book L.C.Smith ''The Legend Lives'' page 288 L.C.Smith Skeet Special [1929-1944 has the quail and clay pigeon on the left lock and a quail in flight on the right lock no clay pigeon,the L.C.Smith Premier Skeet has a quail in flight on the left lock with leaf like background. J.J.

monk

Staff member
holy stuff, that would be a shame to go to ebay. they may well end up being owned by someone with no appreciation for the significance of these plates. my personal budget doesn't allow a bid that would not offend the legacy of the great mr. kornbrath. i don't have a clue as tp how to do this --but what if the forum members "chipped in" and satisfied the monetary requirements ? i could only see maybe 2 repositories- fega, or c. roger bleile. i say roger, as he probably knows more of the history of gun engraving, than most of us put together. i would personally "add to the pot" to see this happen. perhaps the "benevolent one" could chime in here, as i know maybe this is not the place to make this statement.

dlilazteca

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
People here know about it, just list them on eBay let us know the auction number and we'll bid

Saludos,

Carlos

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I remember asking Roger about re creating Kornbrath's style for a project and his response was that it would be a difficult task to say the least. I hadn't really studied any of his pieces in depth when I asked. Looking at these I now understand. Amazing work for his time.
Layne

Tim Wells

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
My offer was rejected but I would still like to make molds of the two side plates for castings before they're gone forever. Good luck on your sale.

Latest posts

Sponsors