Question: Knife Making Supply Suggestions?

Cynthia

I would like to make some scrimshaw knives. I have the handle material and would like to make some folding knives were I would add a ivory handle and then do the scrimshaw work. I have looked at various knife supply catalogs but I'm not really sure what folder kit I should get. I am somewhat clueless on different blade metals and bolster metals and I'm not sure what I should be looking for or avoiding. Any suggestions on choosing a knife kit would be greatly appreciated.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Cynthia, KnifeKits.com parts and accessories I believe this is just what your looking fore. J.J.

Cynthia

Thank You for the suggestion JJ, I have looked at KnifeKits.com and thought that their knife kits looked to be better than some of the other places I've looked at. Some of the other places the bolsters were nickel silver and I am thinking stainless steel would be better. I see that different suppliers carry different steel for the blades, what is the difference between AUS-8 and 440C (or other types)?

Southern Custom

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I would get on the phone with a dealer and ask a few questions about steels. They can guide you with consideration to what type of knife you are trying to make. There are more grades of steel than you can shake a stick at and all of them have different properties and are used in different applications.

Cynthia

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to make up my mind and just order something to get the project going. I always seem to have a hard time ordering things through catalogs, so maybe next year I'll head to the blade show to see first hand what's available.
I'll post some pictures after I get the handle material on and do the scrimshaw engraving.

Latest posts

Sponsors