knife craft from the garage

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A bit different, utilizing some uncommon techniques and hopefully creating a different feel and atmosphere.

Attachments

• DSC_0023.jpg
    DSC_0023.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 453

Mario Sarto

Elite Cafe Member
I didn't read this term for a while on the Cafe - so i gonna use it now: this is eye-candy, Lee! The alignment of the elements is gorgeous. I really like it. Thank you for sharing!

Paulie

Elite Cafe Member
:tiphat: Wow amazing, Lee!! I especially love that knight scene:thumbsup: Great work, greetings, Paulie:beerchug:

Marrinan

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
For a guy working in the garage you sure do some fantastic work. Wonder what you could do had you not wasted all the years farming spuds. Thanks for sharing your wonderful efforts with us. Fred

rod

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Lee,

This is a superb piece of art in many ways, and flawlessly cut as ever. The scenes are so wonderful, one forgets just how small the scale is, and once it dawns on me, I am even more amazed.

Like Mitch, but with much less mastery or experience, I too would like to have you tell us a bit about the techniques, and in particular how you approach the gold sky background to eventually look so perfect? And the horse's mane, and everything quite frankly.

Separately, I would also like to know your inspiration for the piece? Camelot, King Arthur, Holy Grail, Ivanhoe, Robert the Bruce, or ?

What is the dimension of the folded knife?

Best wishes

Rod

Last edited:

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I've been busy with the ever popular and always enjoyable taxes and other assorted bookkeeping, housekeeping activities. The basic idea here is to create a middle tone and work both directions adding darks and lights. Durer, Rembrandt, and many other in history have used a gray toned paper and applied charcoal, graphite, etc. for darker tones and then a white or lighter colored pencil to develop the light and highlight areas.

Brian, I don't know whether these will show up larger but it's a try.

Attachments

• DSC_0035.jpg
    DSC_0035.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC_0036.jpg
    DSC_0036.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 78

mitch

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
The basic idea here is to create a middle tone and work both directions adding darks and lights.

ok, so i'm gonna guess some sort etching process to establish the middle grey tone with bead blasting or acid, then engraving in the darks and burnishing in the lights. i've seen printmakers use this sort of hybrid intaglio & aquatint technique.

Lee

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Mitch, I think all of the things you mentioned are likely to work to one degree or another. The principle is to find a way to create a mid-tone, which will vary some I suppose depending on the base metal, and then cut or stipple the darker areas and burnish or through some other means lighten where needed for lighter tones and highlights. In the end the key is knowing where it needs to be dark and where it needs to be light. The challenge of shading continues to rise from the ashes of our self esteem.

Latest posts

Sponsors