Ken Hurst's First Annual Get Together

Doc Mark

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
I just got back from Ken Hurst's First Annual Get Together at his home in North Carolina. Talk about the epitome of Southern Hospitality!!!!! I won't have to eat for a week! There was the great pulled pork with all the fixins and thanks to David Bain, we had the best ribs imaginable! A extra special "shout out" goes to Ken's wife Julie and David's wife Kathy who never stopped moving the entire weekend. They really made the event run like clockwork. As I was leaving, they were sitting outside under the tent, writing in a notebook, already PLANNING NEXT YEARS EVENT! I met so many engravers of note, that I've gone into information overload. We had a general show and tell and talked about everything, including some rather bizarre stories from an ex New Yorker that probably should not make it to the internet ( You know who you are, Keith! ). Everyone, no matter how many, or how few years they have been engraving, brought something to the table. We all learned new things, including some new transfer techniques, one from Henri, the youngest of the participants. I'll leave the details to them when they post. We all got to see the fabulous new engraving vise prototypes that Greg Neely is going to produce. We got to play with a full height ball and a low profile both coming in around 38 lbs. I believe. The machining and action was flawless and people looking for a heavy vise are going to be very pleased. Don't know what the prices are going to be but they are going to be very reasonable. Several engravers brought favorite tools and toys to show. Ken took the time to answer anyone's questions about various techniques (especially me) and to give several "how to's", that it was like a continual free class. This was really different from the conventions where you get to see many fabulous firearms, meet a lot of great people and can talk shop in the evenings when the engravers don't have to sell. Here, the entire weekend was totally relaxed and (other than a few strange and hilarious asides) we were free to really get into great depths discussing all kinds of engraving subjects.

All in all, I could not have had a more enjoyable and enlightening weekend and I STRONGLY URGE everyone to try and come to next years event! If you miss it, don't say you weren't warned!

Thanks again Ken, Miss Kathy, David and Miss Julie and everyone who participated for making this First Event a memorable one.

Mark

Dave London

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks Doc
Maybe next year, great info on the vice's (ball vice;s that is) Dave:party:

Peter E

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Thanks for the write-up Mark. I would have liked to attend but I had another committment that was scheduled back in January.

I hope to make it next year if it becomes an annual event.

JJ Roberts

:::Pledge Member:::
::::Pledge Member::::
Doc it was great meeting you and the rest of nice folks at Ken's get-together. Great hospitality, wonderful exchange of techniques. The weather was beautiful. I would like to thank Ken & Julie for their generosity. I have a busy day with a student today, but will post some pictures soon. Doc I really like that coin you did with the portrait of Sam and the Cafe logo on the other side. Keep up the good work.

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
What a memorable experience!!!! I had the opportunity to try out both the Palm Control as well as the Graver Mach with the new Doc Mark adaptation that I felt equaled if not exceeded the Palm Control in some respects. That Doc mark is a very inventive fellow. (I can't believe he really pulls teeth ;~)
Got to meet some noted knife makers who showed up as well.

As for the food....I can't say enough. Best ribs I've ever had. All I can say is it was Southern Hospitality at it's finest!!! Thank you so very much Miss Jullie and Mr. ken. It was a wonderful event made possible by some very gracious and lovely Souther Ladies and Gentlemen.

Keith

Elite Cafe Member
WOW!!!! What a great time I had. Ditto to all that was said already.
The sharing of information By all was incredible.
There was show and tell all weekend.

It truly was Southern Hospitality at its finest.
I felt like I was at a Family reunion.

Ken was answering questions all weekend,
He answered many of my questions and explained the techniques in detail.

I hope to visit again this summer for some lessons.

The vises were beautiful. They were machined on a cnc and had very close tolerances. All weekend people were trying them and commenting on how well they were made. They were very smooth and looked beautiful.
Alot of thought and design went into them.

I wish I had taken pictures but the weekend just flew by.

JJ stayed up late at his hotel room and we all packed the room, talked shop and commented on the days happenings until late in the night. Thanks JJ for all the help too.

A big thanks goes to Ken for having us all. Miss Julie, David Bain and Miss Kathy you didnt stop all weekend. What a great bunch of people.

As Doc said If you miss it next year ,you were warned!

Last edited:

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Best Ribs I've Ever Had!

What a great event with southern hospitality at its' finest! Everyone was friendly and I got to know everyone on more than a first-name basis.

As I said, the best ribs I've ever had. Don't normally eat ribs, but these looked and smelled too good to pass up. And I wasn't disappointed, the meat seemed to literally melt off the bone into my mouth, succulent and tasty, each tender morsel whetting the appetite into unlimited submission.

And as for the engravings, what a treat to see/and hold these engravings in the palm of my hand. I especially enjoyed seeing Ken Hurst's engravings and Doc Marks cameo engravings!

What a rare treat to gather so many people together at one time to share their passion in this unusual art form that often leaves you breathless, speechless and in awe at the precision/detail/practice and perserverance that must be required.

The two friendly dogs easily welcomed all the guests, kept watch over the goings and comings, and made sure everything went smoothely. I quickly developed an affection for both of them and in my heart and mind I adopted them as the mascots of this great event.

And last but certainly not least I would like to thank Julie and Cathy, the story behind everything that took place here, to ensure everyone was happy, and well-provided for. Their home-cooking ensured that everyone was well-satiated as I and others took watch of an engraved lion who seemed equally satiated and more than content at being captured in his familiar regal essence.

And again, as for Dave Bains ribs they were out of this world! I wouldn't mind having one right now, my mouth waters at the thought. If Dave continues with his engraving tutelage under Ken Hurst I'm sure he will succeed with the same level of unmatched perfection he has already acquired in his ribs. No cook-off is required, Dave Bain's ribs win hands down!

We were even given a care package of delicious home-made dessert to eat on our way home in the car which was fully appreciated well into our 6 hour drive home. It was a great rejuvenating mini-vacation packed with fellowship and fun, recommended to all. For those who missed it this year, be warned your won't want to miss it next year, that would simply be unacceptable! On the other hand, that means more ribs for the rest of us!

Last edited:

John B.

Lifetime Pledge Member
::::Pledge Member::::
I bet that weekend was a barn burner.
Sounds as if everyone had a great time and some wonderful fellowship.
Sorry I missed it, pretty long drive from the left coast.
Maybe another time.

Sam

Chief Administrator & Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Abigail and I regret not being able to attend. What a grand time it must have been! Where are the photos????!!! :)

Russ Sutton

Ken Hurst's First Annual Get Together - Saturday Group Photo

I've attached (hopefully) a group picture of the participants Saturday. My special thanks to Ms. Julie (Ken's better half) and Cathy and David Bain who worked hard to make it successful. The Get Together was a great success in my view. If you missed it this year you missed out on a great experience.

Russ Sutton

Attachments

• JW3L0751.jpg
    JW3L0751.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 94

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
SAM ---- photos will be forth coming soon. In regards to those ribs Mr. David Bain cooked --- absolutly the best I have ever put in my mouth !! Bigun will be bringing his 250 gal BBQ cooker on wheels next year and we'll have lots more ribs and pit cooked bbq for the crowd. The girls will also be baking lots more cakes and such as well as other goodies. Friday afternoon, the girls layed out different sandwiches, chips, nuts and such for a meet and greet. Dinner on Saturday was as mentioned and Sunday was more sandwiches, more of Davids ribs with all the extra side dishes & low smoked top grade hot dogs with Davids special chilie to go on the dogs. This year, some one put out a can for donations --- NOTE, we didn't ask for this and request that next year this not be done. We are willing to offer all food without donations but you can bring soft drinks if you wish. We were raised believing you didn't invite folks to your home for dinner and then ask for donations to pay for it --- David & Miss Kathy Bain , Miss Julie and I do this because we want everyone to feel at home and like family. To provide extra room, we also plan on getting two 20'X20' tents or a larger one piece tent. We also won't ask anyone to bring lawn chairs or tables as we will also furnish these too.
Daid & Kathy and us couldn't have believed the get together could have been as great as it turned out --- our thanks to all who attended. Next year will be our second gathering & will most certainly be much larger by far. Besides additional engravers attending, many of the members of the North Carolina and Va. custom knife makers guild members will be here. Those of you who couldn't make it this year, please make plans on joining us next year.

Oh yeah, almost forgot --- we have arranged for a special rate of $54 a night rooms at the local Days Inn for those staying overnite. You will have to contact us a few weeks before the get together to get these rooms as we have to block them off to get the special rate. Hope to see yall here next year.

Last edited:

Andrew Biggs

That's a great photo of the Southern "Wild Bunch"

A little bit of magic always happens at get togethers like this and it's always great to be amongst like minds.

Cheers
Andrew

Crazy Horse

Elite Cafe Member
Mr. Ken:
It was me who put out that can for donations. It certainly wasn’t meant to offend, intimidate, or embarrass anyone, especially you. I think many of us realized the extent of outlay you made to make the event successful. I know you pride yourself on your southern hospitality, and it was most appreciated, but considering the tent rental, ribs, pulled pork, chairs, soft drinks not to mention the time you and your family and friends contributed to the effort it seemed only fair to want to help and contribute to the event. I’m sure everyone felt pretty much the same.

Now, should your southern pride be offended, you can remedy the problem by donating the money found in the can to the charity of your choice; possibly to a local children’s hospital, a church in need, a food bank or even the NRA.

If I offended you I sincerely apologize. It was not meant to offend.

J.T.

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
Photos from Engrave-In

Here are some photos from the engrave-in. The next post will have more.

Attachments

• Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 001.jpg
    Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 001.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 002.jpg
    Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 002.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 70
  • Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 003.jpg
    Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 003.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 76
  • Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 004.jpg
    Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 004.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 69
  • Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 005.jpg
    Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 005.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 006.jpg
    Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 006.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 007.jpg
    Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 007.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 64
  • Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 008.jpg
    Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 008.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 67
  • Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 009.jpg
    Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 009.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 010.jpg
    Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 010.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 72

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
More photos from Engrave-In

More photos from Engrave-In.

The last shot was taken from the porch swing of several engravers under the tent in front of the house.
I believe they are from left to right Jeffry Bain, JJ Roberts, Ken Hurst, Keith Pedersen and an up and coming engraver who recently graduated from a college jewelry/metals program Henry Bielawski.

Attachments

• Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 011.jpg
    Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 011.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 012.jpg
    Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 012.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 64
  • Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 013.jpg
    Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 013.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 62
  • Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 014.jpg
    Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 014.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 015.jpg
    Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 015.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 016.jpg
    Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 016.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 017.jpg
    Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 017.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 018.jpg
    Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 018.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 019.jpg
    Ken Hursts Engrave-In 2009 019.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1662_2.jpg
    IMG_1662_2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

mdengraver

~ Elite 1000 Member ~
A Few More Pictures

A Few More Pictures.

The house next door to the engrave-in.

Attachments

• IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1664.jpg
    IMG_1664.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 49

Ken Hurst

Elite Cafe Member
JT ---- PLease don't get the wrong idea, we truly appreciated you most generous action ! However, I wanted all to come to the get together and Not have to feel like a donation was needed to help ease any financial burden. We had planned on spending this money and was glad/happy to be able to do so. Y'all were guest in our home & it we wanted y'all to feel at home as you would at the home of a relative --- it's just the way we are --- at least here in this part of eastern N.C. I am sorry I didn't word my response better so that you didn't get the wrong impression. We look forward to seeing you next year !